draw what you see
- 1 hour on-demand video
- 1 article
- 2 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- An adequate mode of seeing is essential for for drawing from observation, like in Urban Sketching or travel sketching. In this course, you learn to switch purposefully into an adequate mode of seeing.
- Four exercises for warming up for drawing from observation.
- One exercise is suitable for finished sketches as well.
- No prerequisites, only an open mind, pen and paper.
Did you ever wonder, why your observational drawings don't look right? Often, this is because we are not in a suitable viewing mode. In everyday mode, most people cannot see exactly what is really visible in front of them, but they think they see what they know about the object. This can be seen in their drawings. This course is about ways of seeing ("seeing modes") and how to switch to a suitable mode for drawing. I show you four effective and simple warm-up exercises for drawing from observation. The last exercise is also a technique for "real" Urban Sketches or travel sketches - a quick approach to drawing everything you see. Even complicated subjects like architecture or people become much easier if you can perceive exactly what is visible in front of you.
This course is suitable for beginners as well as for advanced students with too much routine who want to learn to see again with "beginner's mind".
I am teaching Urban Sketching courses in Switzerland since 2011. The exercises in this course are the basic exercises with which I start most of the courses, because seeing what is visible (instead of knowing about the object) is the basis for all drawing from observation.
- People, who want to draw in their free time and/or while travelling,
- to deepen the experience of the moment,
- who want to rediscover the wonder and amazement about the little things of everyday life.
- Beginners, who want to draw more coherently and advanced students, who want to become more relaxed
In this first exercise to change the mode of seeing, you can just follow the edges on the sheet. Its a small preliminary exercise to get a feeling of the change and flow.