English Pronunciation made simple
What you'll learn
- Students will know how to clearly pronounce English consonant sounds which will make their speech sound crisp and clear
- Students will know how to pronounce English vowel sounds and this will bring their speech alive
- Students will be aware of how to have more of an English accent
- Students will be able to speak with more clarity and confidence and with improved articulation
- In this course students will also learn how to pronounce some oddities of the English language such as 'our'
- This is for anyone who can speak a basic level of English
- It is for people already familiar with English, either as their first language or as an additional language.
- This course does NOT teach English grammar or English as an additional language.
- Suitable for children and adults
- You don't need hours and hours of free time - this is a short course, not because I couldn't do a long course, but because I believe that we are all busy people now and we want to be able to see a difference in a short space of time. However as with anything in life the more you practice the better you will become
'The simplicity of the course is just brilliant! I learnt a lot about speaking clearly. I couldn't understand the mechanics of the sounds that come up in pronunciation tools, such as Google search. But after these lessons and exercises, I am able to understand them and judge myself when I do it wrong and correct it with practice. I highly recommend this course for anyone who is looking to speak clearly.' ANDREW
I have been teaching people to talk clearly since 1994 and these exercises have been created over the years to help people from all over the world with specific sounds.
I believe that this is a unique approach to English pronunciation and that you won't find another course like it online. This course has been designed so that you can hop from one lecture to another they are not dependent upon each other, this makes improving your pronunciation easier for you as you can concentrate on the sounds you need to.
I teach this course as though you are sitting opposite me and I explain and demonstrate how the English sounds and words should be said and you then have an opportunity to repeat and practice the sounds. The exercises are also presented as a downloadable resource which you can print out and then practise whenever you want to.
I have had a website about clear speaking for nearly twenty years and in all that time my most popular page (every day) has been the voice exercise (pronunciation) page so I have decided to bring it to life. This course will never become outdated - it will always be essential for people who want to speak well.
This isn't aimed just at people who have English as an additional language, about 50% of my pupils over the last twenty years have English as their first or only language and they just want to improve their pronunciation and how they speak.
This course focuses on voice exercises for most of the vowel and consonant sounds made in English. I cover 39 different sounds as well as a few oddities of the spoken English language. I will show you how these sounds should be pronounced, what shape your mouth should be, where your tongue should be and you will hear what they should sound like. This will help you learn how to pronounce English sounds.
Each lecture concentrates on one sound and there is an opportunity for you to repeat the exercises after me. Each sound has its own lesson so you can jump around and pick on the sounds you need to improve. This is helpful for anyone who mumbles or wishes to soften their accent - whatever accent they have but please bear in mind that anyone can speak clearly even with an accent if they can execute the basic skills of clear speech.
I am 100% confident that there isn't another course like this. If you enrol on the course and find a particular sound you have trouble with is missing you only need to message me and I will add it in a new lecture as soon as possible for you.
I want everyone to have confidence and fun when speaking. Most bad speech is caused by laziness or lack of knowledge.
Join me now and improve your English pronunciation today! Have a look at my promotional and free sample lectures and see how I can help you.
Who this course is for:
- This course is for people who need to or want to improve their speaking skills. This could be because they have been told they mumble or maybe they just feel anxious when they have to speak to groups of people or just one or two individuals.
- Anyone who wishes to soften their accent - whatever accent that might be.
- People who want to make their English pronunciation more easily understood
- People who want to learn how to pronounce English sounds
- Ideal if you want to learn quickly , this is a short course but covers everything you need to know.
Serena Greenslade is an experienced speech confidence coach from Dorset, UK and she now lives in central Portugal. Serena qualified in 1994 (A.N.E.A.) as an elocution teacher and since then has taught lecturers at Universities, trainee doctors for the NHS, sports coaches, business people, telephone sales personnel, children, health care workers, stroke victims and staff at national charities. Serena specializes in one to one private lessons for children and adults and workshops for businesses. In June 2014 she gained her Fellowship, F.V.C.M.(Hons).
Serena says 'I know how it feels to be uncertain and frightened about speaking.' She is now qualified to the highest level (Fellowship and Associateship) and is able to help you improve your speaking skills. She lives in jeans, laughs a lot and has a hint of a Dorset accent when not teaching but Serena is passionate about her work and incredibly serious (with a huge smile) when it comes to teaching her clients to sound confident.
When Serena was about ten, her school had a parents evening where the parents go along and chat to the teachers to find out how their children are getting on. During the course of the conversation with her mum, the teacher told her that Serena seemed happy enough but that he couldn't remember speaking to her during the year! Serena was an incredibly shy girl.
As a result of this Serena's mum took her to elocution lessons.
These lessons gave Serena confidence but didn't change the way she sounds, 'I still have a Dorset accent (although when I teach I lose it) and I strongly believe we shouldn't all sound the same'.
Serena was still a very shy girl but knew how to speak when she had to. At her senior school, the different classes used to take it in turns to participate in the morning assemblies. She had a very elderly Maths teacher who claimed that the only time he could hear the assembly was when Serena did a reading. In return for this she was excused Maths tests in his class. Luckily her maths didn't suffer – Serena went on to pass 'A' level Maths.
In 1979 Serena obtained a degree in Law and Economics and went on to become a trainee accountant - for all of 12 weeks. Sitting in an office all day was not for her. Luckily she decided to return to what she enjoyed doing and in 1994 qualified (A.N.E.A.) as an elocution teacher. In 2014 she obtained her Fellowship with Honours from Victoria College (F.V.C.M.)
In addition to publishing her own books, Serena has written an academic paper in Voice and Speech Review April 2015.
Serena has also written articles in many publications including Dance Studio Life July 2015, The Lady Magazine in Sept 2014, ISTD Dance magazine in Jan 2014, PTR Tennis Pro in April 2007, The International Tennis Federation Coaching and Sport Science Review in Dec 2002 and Dance Expression Magazine in Dec 2001.
Serena has also taught students who have appeared in television series and who have won national awards for their acting.
Serena looks forward to teaching you. As she says, 'Enjoy Speaking'