Violin Karate: Beginner to Black Belt
What you'll learn
- How to hold the instrument and bow
- How to get a good sound, and what to do if it's not working
- How to place and work with your fingers correctly
- Fundamentals of good violin technique - essential lessons in every song!
- Lots and lots of fun classical, folk and children's songs. Perfect for all ages!
- You should have a violin, shoulder rest, bow, rosin and a case
Hello, and welcome to Violin Karate! If you've never played violin before but you'd like to learn, you're in the right place! This course will set you up well to continue your studies of classical violin, fiddle, pop, rock, jazz or any style of violin you'd like to play.
With over 125 bite-sized lessons and example videos, you can level up your violin skills in just a few, fun minutes a day!
Acclaimed multi-style violin and fiddle teacher Caroline McCaskey has decades of experiences starting beginners of all ages in a fun and engaging way, and setting them up for success in a lifetime of music making. Her background and training in the Suzuki method, teaching students ages 2 to 85, means she knows what WORKS. Rather than inundate you with absolutely everything there is to know, Caroline shows you only what you need to get you up and running. Violin can be difficult - why make it confusing by showing you stuff you don't need? (Of course if you have questions, be sure to ask!)
**There are no filler lectures or boring exercises in this course - learn everything you need to know by playing songs!** If you look forward to practicing, you're more likely to do it!
This course is great if you:
- Have never played the violin before, and want to make sure you're getting the best possible start with a seasoned, certified, yet FUN teacher!
- Already play a little bit, and are looking for a bunch of fun songs to play that are appropriate for your level
- Have always wanted to play the violin, but decided lessons were too expensive. (Private lessons with Caroline or other experienced teachers are $80/hour or more - this course is a bargain!)
Disclaimer: please note, this course is not designed to teach you how to do karate with your instrument. (We do not condone violin violence.) The belt system is used here simply as a fun framework to measure all the progress you'll be making!
Let's start playing today! See you inside!
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who wants to learn to play the violin
- No experience necessary - build your skills from the ground up!
In demand as both a teacher and performer, Caroline spends her weekdays teaching Suzuki violin and fiddle in the San Francisco Bay Area. Weekends find her gigging with the contra dance band StringFire! and making YouTube videos playing the musical saw. She is the founder of AltStrings, LLC, which strives to make multi-style string instrument education accessible to classical musicians and students everywhere through books, sheet music, videos, and scholarships.
Caroline grew up playing the fiddle with the San Francisco Scottish Fiddlers, and has been involved teaching at Fiddlekids Day Camp for over a decade. She also teaches cello and musical saw at Rocky Mountain Fiddle Camp. She is the author of "How to Read Bass Clef on the Piano: A Musician's Guide and Workbook for the Left Hand" available through Hal Leonard.