Vim Essentials - One Hour to Proficiency (Free Vim Tutorial)
- Have access to a Linux CLI or MacOS terminal (optional).
Looking for a good Vim tutorial? Vim is a lightweight, powerful editor, but most users do not need all that Vim has to offer. The Vim essentials taught in this course may be all you really need to know to be successful in your work or for personal use. The benefit of this course is that the most high-value content for new Vim users is packaged to fit your time schedule and is delivered to you in only one hour.
Throughout the course, quizzes and exercises will help you commit to memory the material, so you'll be ready to use your new skills right away. From there, you'll be well-equipped to continue learning advanced Vim topics at your leisure and on an as-needed basis.
I've been a Network Engineer/Linux user for almost eight years and I've never used any Vim commands besides those taught in this course, and I use Vim almost every day. I use Vim for creating and modifying scripts, config files, and other settings on Linux machines. If that also describes you, then I'm confident this is all you need to learn the essentials of Vim.
This course is also great as a Vim refresher.
Good luck with your learning!
- I.T. professionals who are looking to level up their game.
- Students of Linux.
- Aspiring technologists who want to become more familiar and proficient with Linux or Vim.
- Developers who want to use Vim for coding but have little or no familiarity with Vim.
- What is Vim?02:14
- Install VIM01:01
- Vim Modes05:22
- Vim Cheatsheet00:04
- Background and Introduction Quiz7 questions
- Vim Help/Opening Files00:51
- Save and Close a File01:23
- Move around in Vim01:49
- Line Numbers01:04
- Navigating Practice05:06
- Navigating Vim Quiz9 questions
- Navigating Exercise00:39
- Insert Mode & Basic Editing01:09
- Multiple/Combination Commands01:44
- Visual Mode02:25
- Editing Practice04:18
- Editing in Vim Quiz15 questions
- Editing Exercise00:52
- Undo/Redo, Set Paste, Repeat Last Change02:07
- Searching and Search & Replace03:37
- Build Efficiency Practice10:21
- Build Efficiency Quiz13 questions
- Build Efficiency Exercise00:47
- Conclusion and Thank You00:46
- Comprehensive Vim Quiz16 questions
- Comprehensive Exercise01:51
- Comprehensive Exercise Solution00:00
Hello. I'm Joseph Call, and I'm excited to create content for Udemy. Over the past eight years I've been honing my I.T. skills primarily within network engineering and I'm also a heavy Linux user. I graduated from Brigham Young University with a degree in Information Technology and currently work for a large software company in the U.S. I'm also working on an MBA and Master's degree in Information Systems.