Video Game Design: Create A Competitive Design Portfolio
What you'll learn
- Create a professional quality and highly competitive game design or level design portfolio
- Design extremely well targeted portfolio games or levels and get professional design experience while creating them
- Create a demo reel that WOW's Hiring Managers and showcases your value as a designer
- Build a polished and professional portfolio website that showcases your work
- Write professional quality entry-level game or level design resume and cover letter that will get Hiring Managers to take you seriously
- Create a winning business card
- Know what Hiring Managers in the video game industry want from entry-level game designers and level designers
- Know what knowledge, skills, and experience will be required to be considered a strong game or level design candidate
- Choose the right design career for you
- If your intention is to quickly learn the insider knowledge, tips and best practices for making a highly competitive design portfolio (only) you don't need any prerequisite knowledge to take this course.
- If your intention is to successfully create and launch all of the portfolio deliverables discussed in this course to maximize your chances of getting your target game design or level design job, you will need the following skills:
- Basic knowledge of game design or level design
- High school graduate to college level writing skills
- Basic understanding of how to write documentation with a word processor (like MS Word or Google Sheets)
- Working knowledge of at least one game engine and game authoring package such as Unreal 4 or Unity
- Basic scripting (coding) skills (if you aren't working with a programmer)
- Basic 2D or 3D art skills (if you aren't working with an artist)
- Basic video editing skills (if you aren't working with a video editor)
- Basic website template editing skills for website builders such as Wix or Weebly (if you aren't working with a website builder)
VIDEO GAME DESIGN: CREATE A COMPETITIVE DESIGN PORTFOLIO is focused on helping aspiring game designers and level designers create a portfolio of work that is professional in quality and makes them highly competitive for design jobs in the video game industry.
>>>UPDATE<<< 20 incredible entry-level Design Portfolio Websites and Demo Reels (with their portfolio games available to download from their sites to play and review) were just added to the course examples list for you to research and learn from. All of them are from past students of mine who are working in the industry and doing very well! The updated list covers Junior Game Designers, Level Designers, UI Designers, and Assistant Producers. Enjoy!
DO YOU WANT TO:
Have a real chance at getting a design job in the video game industry
Get professional design experience from your portfolio games or levels
Be taken seriously by Video Game Producers and Lead Designers
THEN YOU NEED TO:
Create an extremely well designed, high quality and targeted portfolio that "WOWS" industry professionals demonstrates your value to a game team
Design innovative portfolio games or levels that showcase your talent and make Game Design Leads and Creative Directors respect you
Build an exciting demo reel that will get a Hiring Manager's attention
Build an effective portfolio website to showcase your demo reel and games/levels
Write winning cover letters and resumes that will make Recruiters and Producers take you seriously.
ARE YOU READY TO:
Put a stake in the ground now and put 100% of yourself into achieving your goals
Showcase your design work to industry professionals (Producers/Designers)
Prove that you have what it takes to break into the Video Game Industry
Stand out from the crowd and beat out the competition for jobs
Land your dream job and become a professional game designer or level designer
>> START BUILDING YOUR DESIGN PORTFOLIO TODAY! <<
IN THIS COURSE YOU WILL LEARN:
What the various design roles in the game industry are and what they do
How to research game companies effectively
What Hiring Managers want from entry-level game designers and level designers
How to prepare effectively to create your design portfolio
How to create a winning strategy to get the design jobs you want
How to create the right portfolio games and get real industry game experience while making them
How to create a demo reel that Wow's Hiring Managers and showcases your most valuable design skills to them
How to create a portfolio website that showcases your work well to potential employers
How to write resumes and cover letters that will get Hiring Managers to take you seriously
How to create a winning Business card.
WHY TAKE THIS COURSE
Simple, this course gives you all of the insider information, training, exercises and best practices required to:
Choose the right design career for you
Create a solid portfolio development strategy and plan that will help you get the results you need
Build a design portfolio that shows and proves your value as a highly knowledgeable, skilled and competitive game designer or level designer to employers in the video game industry
Maximize your chances of landing your target design job in the video game industry
ADDITIONAL BENEFITS OF TAKING THIS COURSE
All of the information you need in one easy place. 'VIDEO GAME DESIGN: CREATE A COMPETITIVE DESIGN PORTFOLIO' is a simple, straightforward and easy to understand online course that is 100% focused on the goal of helping you get your game design or level design portfolio to a polished and professional state that is highly competitive for entry-level game design or level design jobs in the Video Game Industry. Everything you need to know is in one easy place.
Need to know information only. I know your time is very valuable and you want to get a design job as soon as possible. Therefore, I have only included information that is 'need to know'. All course content and exercises are presented in an easy to follow step-by-step concise format to give you maximum results in the least amount of time. No wasted time!
Professional video guided mentorship to help you succeed. Creating an outstanding design portfolio takes serious time and effort, and believe it or not thousands of talented passionate people are trying to build them to compete for entry-level design jobs everyday. Unfortunately, the hard truth is that the majority of these people will fail to succeed because of the time they waste working on the wrong things or just not getting their work to the level of quality necessary to compete for jobs. --And YES even the most talented people struggle on their own because it is very difficult be objective and critical about your own work (or even know what work you should be doing) when you're doing something new.
This course can help you change all of that and beat the odds by:
Keeping you focused on achieving the right career and portfolio goals so you can get valid game design or level design experience while you’re creating your portfolio games.
Giving you the information and video guided mentoring support you need to ensure that you are doing things right the first time and staying on track to hit a high level of quality and achieve your goals.
Ensuring that you are creating portfolio work that is highly competitive in quality and clearly showcasing your value for the game design or level design jobs that you want
HOW IS THIS COURSE STRUCTURED
Each section of this course starts out with an video game industry mentor guided video explaining all of the information you need to know in a simple and concise format, followed by a set of exercises and best practices to help ensure that you do things right the first time!
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO COMPLETE THIS COURSE
You should expect it to take between 4-8 months to complete all of the components of you design portfolio if you are starting it from scratch.
ARE THERE 1 ON 1 MENTORING SESSIONS PROVIDED WITH THIS COURSE
Mentorship in this UDEMY course is provided through mentor guided video lectures and written documentation only.
WHAT PEOPLE HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
"Hi there! My name is Antoine Ladouceur and Jarett was my instructor at the Art Institute of Vancouver. Boy was I lucky to have him! If I’m working as a Level Designer today it’s definitely because of his incredible support and advice. Having Jarett as an instructor was a little bit like opening a window onto the entire spectrum of game development. I felt like not only did I learn how to make good game design choices, but also how those choices would affect development overall. I learned what its like to work in a professional game development team and how to structure my work to fit well in that framework. --Overall, my first day on the job felt quite easy from everything I had learned from Jarett. He is a terrific instructor, straight to the point and very passionate about what he does and it’s definitely contagious."
- Antoine Ladouceur, Jr. Level Designer, Compulsion Games"
"Many of the choices I make as a Level Designer to improve my work came from advice that Jarett gave me during my courses. With his guidance and in-depth feedback, I was able to create a portfolio that really allowed me showcase who I was and what I could offer to the industry. Jarett is extremely passionate about what he does. He can always recognize when someone has potential and he'll always do his best to make sure that potential flourishes, even if it means building from the ground up. Jarett always manages to inspire creativity and hard work and I can without a doubt say I was extremely fortunate to have him as my instructor."
- Zack Bryan, Level Designer, Akimbo Creation's
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who wants to find out what you need to do to build a game design or level design portfolio that will make you competitive for jobs in the video game industry
- Anyone seriously interested in building a game or level design portfolio to get into the video game industry as an entry level designer
- Aspiring game designers or level designers (this includes producers, artists, programmers and quality assurance testers who would like to transition into a design role)
- Who is this course not for: People who are aspiring to become video game artists, programmers, or producers
Jarett Metcalfe is a Video Game Producer and Designer who has worked in the game industry for over 11 years and has shipped 13 video games to date. Many of these have been award winning such as Need For Speed, Fight Night, FIFA World Cup and Bomberman Live. Having worked in numerous leadership roles in the game industry (Franchise Development Director, Creative Producer and Game Designer), he is an expert on what Hiring Managers (Producers and Game Designers) in the video game industry are looking for in entry-level game designers and level designers.
Being passionate about sharing knowledge and helping aspiring game designers and level designers succeed with breaking into the game industry, he currently teaches game design and portfolio development at the highly rated Art Institute of Vancouver, mentors at Vancouver Film School, as well as teaches his own video game design portfolio course online.