Version Control with Git
What you'll learn
- Get to know the difference between centralized and distributed version control systems
- Configure your environment to use Git
- See the difference between local and remote repositories and when to use each.
- Know how to undo work at various stages in the Git commit process.
- Control what gets commits to your Git repository using the .gitignore file.
- Find out all about workflows—from basic to open source, and discover one that fits your needs
- This course is for software professionals including developers, testers, architects, configuration analysts, and release managers who want to understand the capabilities of Git
- The course doesn't expect any pre-requisites and just a computer that can run Git is enough. Some basics of Git will help in getting the best out of the course.
Version control is a system that records changes to a file or set of files over time so that you can recall specific versions later.
In this video, we will dive into version control using Git. After explaining the difference between centralized and distributed version control, we will show you how to configure your Git environment. Once we have configured the environment we will show you how to work with Git in your day to day activities.We will look at what it takes to administer your Git setup
We will end the course with setting up the workflows in Git. We will see Basic Workflow, Forking Workflow, Feature workflow, open source workflow and Gitflow Workflow.
About the Author
Paul Hacker, a Principal Consultant with AgileThought, has over 15 years of application architecture, design, development, and management expertise in Microsoft technologies. Paul has a depth of experience in ALM, Process Improvement, and Team Foundation Server. Having distinguished himself as a leader in the IT industry he has been awarded the distinction of Microsoft MVP in the ALM category every year since 2006
Who this course is for:
- This course is a combination of theory and demo. We explain the concept and when applicable, we demo the concept so you understand it
- Everyone interested in understanding version control, with no knowledge of Git can take this course.
Packt has been committed to developer learning since 2004. A lot has changed in software since then - but Packt has remained responsive to these changes, continuing to look forward at the trends and tools defining the way we work and live. And how to put them to work.
With an extensive library of content - more than 4000 books and video courses -Packt's mission is to help developers stay relevant in a rapidly changing world. From new web frameworks and programming languages, to cutting edge data analytics, and DevOps, Packt takes software professionals in every field to what's important to them now.
From skills that will help you to develop and future proof your career to immediate solutions to every day tech challenges, Packt is a go-to resource to make you a better, smarter developer.
Packt Udemy courses continue this tradition, bringing you comprehensive yet concise video courses straight from the experts.