Usability Testing Boot Camp
What you'll learn
- Structure a usability test plan to get buy-in from management and the development team.
- Recruit the right test participants
- Generate test tasks that are relevant to your customers and your business.
- Identify the right usability test method for your product and its lifecycle phase.
- Choose between remote and lab-based tests, and moderated and unmoderated usability tests.
- Design usability tests that meet international standards in usability.
- Master usability test moderation.
- Collect and analyse behavioural data.
- Persuade managers and developers to take action based on your test results.
- Adapt our industry-standard forms and templates for your own tests.
- A willingness to take the perspective of the user.
Learn how to carry out a usability test — the gold standard for measuring user experience.
This workshop will give you the confidence to run a usability test of your company's product, software or web site.
Unlike market research methods, usability testing shows how real people will use the product in the real world.
But there are several different types of usability test, making it difficult for design teams to agree on a technique. Usability testing is also very different from interviews or focus groups and requires a well-trained test moderator.
Crammed with insights from usability testing experts, you'll:
- Master usability test moderation.
- Discover how to choose between remote and lab-based tests, and moderated and unmoderated usability tests.
- Get coached through the various steps you need to take to run your first usability test.
- Hear experienced usability testers describe the problems you're likely to encounter when moderating and logging usability tests — and you'll find out how to solve them.
- Download the forms, templates and cheat sheets that practitioners use in their job.
- Learn battle-tested, persuasive techniques to present the results to developers, managers and clients.
- Discover how to find test participants.
- Benefit from industry insights from user experience expertslike Dr Deborah Mayhew, Dr Philip Hodgson, Miles Hunter, Dr Todd Zazelenchuk and Jeff Sauro in our unique, 15-minute masterclass interviews.
In short, this course will give you the kind of practical knowledge that you can’t get from reading a book.
All of the video lectures, templates and worksheets are download-enabled. If you have a slow internet connection, or want to take this course with you on your laptop, smartphone or other portable device, sign up and download all the videos and other course materials now.
And on completion of the training, you will receive a certificate of completion and be eligible for free, e-mail-based, refresher training.
Sign up now to get lifetime access to this course. With Udemy's 30-day money-back guarantee, it's risk-free.
Who this course is for:
- Interface designers who want to experience hands-on techniques for testing and evaluating their designs with end users.
- Product development engineers and designers who want to choose the right usability test for the current product lifecycle stage.
- Project managers who want to manage the usability testing process.
- Marketing managers who want to see samples of usability test reports, usability questionnaires, screeners and other deliverables from usability tests.
- Business analysts who want to use performance-based testing to communicate the cost-benefits of the user experience.
- Web site designers who want to learn the kind of practical knowledge that you can't get from reading a book.
I'm on a mission to create more user experience professionals.
Perhaps you'd like a job in user experience. Or maybe you already work in the field but you've never had any formal training. Or maybe you want to improve your skills in one specific area, like usability testing or expert reviews. I've turned thousands of people into user experience designers and researchers and now you can join their ranks by taking my courses on Udemy.
You're probably curious about my background. At 18, I appeared as an extra in the film “Quadrophenia" alongside Sting and Ray Winstone. Despite a critically-acclaimed performance lasting 5 seconds, follow-up offers from Hollywood failed to arrive so I turned to psychology where I gained a BSc and a PhD. Since 1989 I've worked in the fields of human factors, usability and user experience and I've published three books on usability, including "Think Like a UX Researcher". I'm now a User Experience Strategist at Userfocus, a consultancy specialising in user experience. I'm no longer in contact with Sting or Ray Winstone, whose career trajectories have been somewhat different.
I've provided usability support to top brands like HP, Microsoft, Whirlpool, Orange, Skype, eBay and Yahoo! and I've also consulted with public sector organisations like The Greater London Authority, Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs, UK Government and the World Health Organization.
My students describe me as passionate and technically knowledgeable and students voted me an "Outstanding Instructor" in a Udemy-wide survey .