Unreal Engine: Create an Arcade Classic!
What you'll learn
- Understand how to download, install, and setup a project in the Unreal Engine
- Build levels, create materials, customize particles, and edit sounds in the Unreal Engine
- Script interactive gameplay elements utilizing Unreal Engine's Blueprint Scripting tools
- Layout, animate, and give functionality to custom-made menu screens and in-game HUD
- Create a COMPLETE gaming experience from scratch!
- SUGGESTED: Desktop PC with Windows 7 (or later) 64-bit - OR - a Mac with Mac OS X 10.9.2 or later
- SUGGESTED: 8 GB RAM
- SUGGESTED: Quad-core Intel or AMD processor
- SUGGESTED: DirectX 11 compatible video card
- SUGGESTED: Unreal Engine version 4.18 or later
- NO programming experience needed! You'll learn how to code functionality using Unreal's "blueprint scripting" as we go!
In this game design course, I will be guiding you step-by-step through the re-creation of an arcade classic using the Unreal Engine: THE premier free to download gaming engine! (AND the SAME engine used to build the smash hit "Fortnite").
This course contains over 100 fun-to-follow video lessons. Things learned in this course include:
How to setup and create a project in the Unreal Engine
How to navigate the Unreal Editor
How to construct simple levels using basic shapes (geometry)
How to import and implement sounds
How to understand the basics of Unreal's Blueprint Scripting system including:
How to create Variables
How to create Functions
How to use Events, Flow Control, and Timeline nodes
How to organize your Blueprints themselves and scripts
How to create interactive objects using Blueprint Scripting such as:
Pickups (pellets, power-pellets, fruits)
How to implement simple enemy AI
How to create interactive menus
How to create a game HUD
How to animate menu and HUD elements
How to create a saving system
How to load a saved game
How to create a leaderboard
How to add fun presentation elements like slow motion, animating scores, flashing text, etc.
With the knowledge gained in these video lessons, you will be armed with the necessary skills to start building your OWN gaming creations (WITHOUT any programming knowledge needed)!
Who this course is for:
- Anyone interested in learning how to use the Unreal Engine to create games
- NO PRIOR VIDEO GAME DESIGN KNOWLEDGE OR UNREAL ENGINE EXPERIENCE NEEDED!
Greg Wondra is an Unreal Authorized Instructor and 12 year video game design veteran. He's worked for companies such as 2K Sports, KingsIsle Entertainment, and Nickelodeon. Working credits include:
- Wizard 101 (PC)
- Lost Planet 3 (360, PS3, PC)
- MonkeyQuest (PC)
- Sports Champions (PS3)
- Major League Baseball 2K5, 2K6, 2K7, 2K8 (various consoles)
- SpongeBob Moves In (Mobile)
- Grub Guardian (Mobile)
Working in the gaming industry has been a lifetime dream filled with rare opportunities. He's had the good fortune to have directed LeBron James and Derek Jeter in motion capture sessions in his gaming career. Additionally, Greg led the design of "Sports Champions"...the first game ever released for the PS Move hardware.
"Mr. Wondra" has worked as the Video Game Design instructor at the Regional Occupational Center in Bakersfield, CA where he teaches a full year course on game design using the Unreal Engine.