Unpacking the Internet of Things (IoT)
This is the first course in the PTC IoT Series. It focuses on unpacking the Internet of Things by describing the fundamental changes that are taking place at a product level; namely how things are becoming smart and connected.
The course is designed to be completed within 3-4 hours. We include academic research, business case studies, and incorporate eLearning best practices in order to provide you with an engaging and worthwhile learning experience.
If you want to familiarize yourself with the Internet of Things industry and understand how this industry is impacting technology innovation and business strategy, this course is for you.
- This IoT course is designed for people who want to get a sense of how product innovation is changing in the Internet of Things industry
- This course is especially pertinent for people associated with business, leadership, design, product development, manufacturing, and computer science
- Course Overview
- Course Materials
- IoT example: Smart Homes
- What is the Internet of Things?
- Why Are Businesses Investing in the Internet of Things?
- What is a Smart Connected Product?
- What are the Capabilities of Smart Connected Products?
- Project Directions
- Submit project
- Check your knowledge
- Certificate of Completion
- Next Steps
My work focuses on merging research, design and business in education settings. A good chunk of my experience has been working with K-12 and college students as a teacher, researcher, trainer, and designer. Recently my work has expanded to include product development and education for industry with a big focus on the Internet of Things.
As an instructional designer and educator, I’ve worked in education and product development for the past 9 years and am excited to bring the two worlds together to empower student and teacher innovation. My current work focuses on designing and developing both classroom and online learning experiences to help learners of all ages be more informed, active participants in the world of IoT.
I have spent the last 30 years working in industry and academe as a mechanical engineer and professor. I specialize in product development, engineering design & analysis. But my passion is teaching. Having taught in the university setting for 25 years I now create educational programs and instructional experiences for industry and education.