UNIX Getting Started
- Basic operating systems understanding
- No tools required
- Basic laptop, preferably Mac or Ubuntu
Why this course? Internet is flooded with lot of resources already related to UNIX. Then why we need another in the same category? The answer to this lies in following points.
1. This course is a compact version of UNIX with all the details to start.
2. It talks less theory and more action.
3. Simple explanations are given for different commands.
4. The lectures are created in step by step fashion.
5. More than 70 different commands are included in this course.
6. You will not be burdened with so many UNIX commands, because they are placed in a simple fashion in different chapters.
7. With real examples of different commands which you can try on your system easily.
8. Exercises were included in different modules based upon what you learned. This will make you more familiar with the usage of different concepts and commands.
9. This course is also compiled, keeping in mind that any naive user who are eager to learn to computer and start basic programming. That's why the title "Getting Started".
- Anybody interested in software, students who want build up their software skills
- Software testers, developers, system administrators
- What is UNIX
- History of UNIX
- UNIX Philosophy
- GUI vs CLI
- Executing UNIX Commands
- Basic System Commands
- Help Commands
- File Management Commands
- UNIX Filesystems
- Few Terms related to File Systems
- File Types
- Hidden Files
- Meta Characters
- Symbolic Links
- Standard I/O and Redirection Operators
- VI Editor and Opening a File
- Navigating a File
- Editing in VI Editor
- Saving and Quiting from VI Editor
- Searching Patterns in VI Editor
- Substitution in VI Editor
- Running Shell Commands in VI Editor
- Some Useful VI Editor Options
- Process Management
- Memory Management
- Disk Management
- File Management
- System Management
- User Management
- Group Management
- Numeric Permissions
- Symbolic Permissions
- Default Permissions
- Change Permissions
- Basic Filters
- Basic Filters - grep
- Advance Filters - sed
- Advance Filters - awk
- What is Shell
- Types of Shell and Invoking a Shell
- Paths and Variables
- Executing a Shell Script
Hi! I'm Jayant. I have a degree in Communication Engineering and more than decades of experience in working IT and ITes.
After working over a decades in the IT industries, I learned that whatever the technology changes, still the basics remains same, like operating system. So I started teaching this in a simplest possible way. I'm passionate about teaching things from basic about different technologies.
Sign up to my course and join me in this amazing adventure today. I will be there to help you in this journey.