Unity Beginners | Learning The Basics
- This is a beginner series and no previous knowledge of Unity or game development is required.
- This training was designed to give beginners strong foundation to move on to our other advanced courses.
Welcome to your first lessons in Unity created by experts here at the School of Game Design. The School of Game Design is an industry leader in game design education. We only create training videos which have been carefully produced by game design experts currently working in the game industry. With years of experience in both game development and teaching our expert team make these complex tools simple and fun to learn.
In this series, you will be learning the basics of the Unity game engine which is used by everyone from indie game developers to major game studios all over the world. Anyone who is serious about becoming a game designer should take the time to learn this user-friendly yet powerful 2D and 3D game development platform. Unity can be used to develop games, apps, and interactive content which can then be published to Mac, PC, gaming consoles like PS4, Nintendo, and Xbox, as well as all mobile devices.
Getting the right start with any software makes learning more advanced features down the road that much easier. This course takes the fear and frustration out of learning this powerful game development program by keeping things simple and to the point. You will quickly learn the fundamentals needed to have a strong base and the confidence to move on to the many more advanced Unity training tutorials we offer.
You should take this Unity course if you
Are completely new to Unity or game design
Want to learn how to make your own games or work in the game industry
Want a great understanding of the basics so you can easily follow along in later courses
By the end of this Unity training series you will:
Know how to properly install, setup, and launch Unity 5
Know how to navigate around your 3D scene
Know how to add 3D objects to your scene
How to organize your workspace and customize windows
Learn more about the online Unity community and assets store
Know how to open and view complex game projects
Have a excellent understanding of the tool bar and inspector panel
Be prepared to move on to the next series : Learning to code in C#
If you are completely new to Unity, then this course is exactly what you need to build a strong foundation and start your journey into the exciting field of game design.
- This course is for students who are completely new to Unity and want a fun and easy way to quickly become familiar with this powerful game development tool.
- What is Unity00:43
- Navigating Unity's updates and new features03:44
- Introduction to this series00:21
- Unity website overview00:46
- overview of the Made With section of Unity's website00:37
- overview of the Unity's Forum02:50
- overview of the Answers section on Unity's website02:17
- overview of the Documentation section on Unit's website01:06
- overview of the Asset Store on Unity's website03:06
- Creating a free user account with Unity03:43
- Downloading Unity Hub03:11
- Install Unity Hub and Unity App versions07:00
- Creating a new project04:02
- Importing the 3D Game Kit assets06:25
- Creating assets | cube and sphere01:34
- Unity3D Workspace Interface Overview00:46
- Navigating around the workspace06:32
- Toolbar Tools06:27
- Toolbar Buttons02:34
- Unity's Project window04:27
- Unity3D Scene View Basics10:47
- Unity's Game View Basics05:44
- Unity's Hierarchy panel06:49
- Customizing Your Workspace05:03
- Wrap up00:12
- 10 Free spots available for the Latest Getting Started with Unity Course00:13
- Bonus: description details00:11
- Bonus you have to take a look at!02:54
GREAT EDUCATION SHOULD BE AVAILABLE TO EVERYONE
The School of Game Design was created to provide in-depth, current industry education in the area of interactive arts. We have our finger on the pulse of the tech industry and keep our curriculum up to date so our students are some of the most sought after artists and designers available. We arm students with the tools needed to thrive as designers, programmers, 3D animators, game developers, web designers, and UI / UX artists.
WE TEACH ONLY THE LATEST TECHNOLOGY
Unity, Photoshop, Illustrator, Maya, GameSalad, and several other powerful programming languages are just some of the many topics we cover here at the School of Game Design. We pay close attention to the latest tools and techniques being utilized by the tech and gaming industries, making sure that what we teach, keeps our students on top of these fast growing technologies. We are always developing new training videos which help make our students leaders in their chosen fields.
WE PRACTICE WHAT WE PREACH
All of our instructors here at the School of Game Design are experts at what they do and are currently working in the game, film, and tech industries with over 24 years of experience. Not only have we taught at major schools and studios like Ubisoft and the LA Film School, but our instructors have worked on Films like Lord of the Rings, and Rango. Our dedicated team has won major awards for their films, and innovative web designs and combined have launched over 30 apps to the iTunes App Store and Android Market.
We are pros at what we do and we have a passion for sharing our industry knowledge with our students.