Understanding MIDI: Create Compositions With Help Of MIDI FX
What you'll learn
- use midi as a source of musical information.
- use midi fx to manipulate midi notes.
- create a short composition containing only four notes and a heap of midi fx.
- create a mixdown of their composition to get it heard!
- You should have a basic knowledge on how to create music in a DAW.
- You should be familiar with the core basics of music theory.
About this course:
- 1+ hours of content available!
- 1000+ students already joined the course!
- Latest Update on the 1st of Oct, 2015: Bonus Walkthrough through another example!
- Free preview lectures available, please look for the example in the Bonus Section to see what you going to learn.
This class is all about understanding the power of MIDI and MIDI FX.
Audio FX change the sound of you composition, but MIDI FX are able to change the notes. With the help of MIDI FX, you will learn how to create a rich piece of music by changing pitches, note length and velocities and give it a moving and changing feeling by using chords, arpeggios and scales.
Your goal is to learn how to modify MIDI notes and create a short composition with MIDI FX. This helps students new to the concept of MIDI and MIDI FX to get a good understanding of what can be done with MIDI signals. Experienced composers should get new ideas and inspirations on how to use MIDI in their creations.
You can complete this course in roughly 2 to 3 hours.
Who this course is for:
- This course is meant for students that have fun making music and like to improve their compositions by using midi fx.
- This course is useful for students new to midi composing as they will learn how to use midi signals.
- This course will probably NOT help students with no prior experience with DAWs.
I'm a DJ, producer, remixer, radio host and music lover from Dortmund (Germany). I'm also a teacher and trainer for DJing and Music Production at the VibrA School of DJing, the largest association of DJ schools in Europe.
Teaching to me is more than just knowing technical facts and details about my field of expertise. It's about giving the student a feeling of "I can understand this!" or "I can do this too!" and talk to him in a way so he can really achieve the knowledge without being an expert before the training.
I took a long way: In 1995, I bought my first turntables and started my first steps as a DJ and amateur producer. I played countless club gigs all over Germany and I still host a weekly fm live radio show named “Schwarzmarkt" (german for “black market"), which is on air live since 2002, every Friday night on Dortmund's fm college radio “eldoradio*". Besides, I was engaged in producing, working with lots of artists and musicians and doing remixes for contests. Since 2006 I additionally work as teacher and trainer at Europe's biggest association of DJ-Schools, the “VibrA – School of Djing" in Dortmund (and Münster for the time it existed) to coach DJs and producers coming from all styles of music in the arts of mixing, scratching and producing.
Some things I did and achieved in the last years:
- 1995 - today: Club-DJ in various locations
- 2002 - today: Host and Radio-DJ at fm radio station eldoradio* in Dortmund with my own weekly live show
- 2006 - today: Teacher for DJing at the VibrA School of DJing in Dortmund
- 2012 - today: Teacher for Music Production at the VibrA School of DJing in Dortmund
- 2008 - 2010: Teacher for DJing at the VibrA School of DJing in Münster
I passed the test for the Teacher Certificate at the VibrA with "Sehr Gut" (best grade possible).
I planned and executed workshop, seminars and lectures, f.e. at the "Ruhrpuls Festival" in Bochum (2012), for the LfM (Landesanstalt für Medien, 2013) and as an expert for Music Production, DJing and Remixing I lectured at a academic high school (Q1 and Q2 am Gymnasium, 2014).
Being a producer and remixer, my work got (and will be) released on several labels since 2011, i.e. Renegade Media (Toronto, Canada), Dubstep Division (Berlin, Germany), Redlight Media Germany (Krefeld, Germany), UK Breakbeat (London, England), DivisionBass (Bristol, England), Boomrush Productions (Germany) and Deep In The Jungle Records (also England).
Additionally I am producer of the current mixtape series "Rootsstep To The World" for Rootstep Division Recordings (Berlin, Germany) with more than 20 issues within the last year.