Understanding Humor for ESL learners
- 1.5 hours on-demand video
- 7 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- You will learn how to use American style humor to engage and disarm in social situations.
- Getting people to relax before a stressful meeting, or breaking the ice with new acquaintances.
- How to confront racial or inappropriate jokes
- Intermediate English is required.
- A curiosity about American humor.
This humor course is for non-native English speakers who understand most English situations but still have trouble translating humor. In this course, you will receive the tools for creating humor as well as identifying your humor style and the humor style of others. By the end of this course, you'll be able to write a joke (that is not to say it will be a good joke) that will help you show others that your English is on a whole new level. You will be given the tools for creating funny stories and you will be shown how to recognize different humor styles as well as different types of humor devices like irony and puns.
- You will enjoy this course if you are a student of English and you would like to communicate on a higher level with your colleagues or socially.
- You will enjoy this course if you want to start doing English Stand-up Comedy.
"What kind of joke is it?" looks at the different kinds of jokes that were introduced in this section and asks you to try to tell the difference between different jokes.
"The joke Machine" gives you the chance to try your hand at how a joke works with a joke reversal.
"Playing with Words" lets you work with the language of puns, exaggeration, understatement, and hypotheticals.