Understanding 5G: The Next Evolution in Wireless
What you'll learn
- Visualize where 5G fits into the evolution of wireless technologies and at least 3 key capabilities.
- Identify why 5G is considered the catalyst for the fourth industrial revolution.
- Brainstorm new ideas, new business opportunities, and new services to take advantage of 5G capabilities.
- Identify key communications service providers building and deploying 5G networks.
- Prepare business plans and strategies for 5G services and products.
- You should be familiar with wireless technology as a consumer or in business.
- You should be a technology evangelist with interest in how wireless networks are evolving.
- You should have an interest in new technologies that facilitate IoT, Artificial Intelligence, and Machine Learning.
Business and technology news is being overwhelmed with stories about 5G. Some CEOs and analysts have called it the on-ramp to the 4th industrial revolution. You may be wondering -- what exactly is 5G and why is it getting so much attention? Or, you may want to know how you can use 5G technology to develop new products or services, make money, or improve the delivery of public services. You’ve come to the right course!
I’ve been in the telecommunications industry for over 30 years and have worked, in one capacity or another, for three of the largest US communications service providers. Much of that time has been spent in wireless networks. In my career, I have seen technology leap forward and evolve at a faster and faster pace but never with such vigor as 5G.
All that you hear about self-driving cars and self-driving trucks, autonomous drones, the Internet of Things, Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality --- they all need a fast, reliable, high-capacity wireless network. That’s the promise and the potential of 5G. In this course, Understanding 5G, we’ll take a look at what 5G is, how we got here, and what it means to you as a consumer, a business owner or entrepreneur, a property owner or building manager, and as a citizen.
Join me, and let’s get started in understanding 5G wireless communications.
Who this course is for:
- Consumers interested in the next wave of wireless technology with higher bandwidth and faster speed.
- Small business owners that want mobility, faster throughput, and higher bandwidth.
- Software developers and entrepreneurs launching or deploying new-generation wireless applications.
- Investors looking for opportunities in new wireless technologies, services, and applications.
- Landlords, building managers, and cell site owners or lessees interested in new revenue opportunities from 5G.
- Municipal telecommunications and public service employees focused on improving communications infrastructure.
A veteran of over 30 years in the telecommunications industry, I managed and led teams that deployed innovative technology across the industry in wireline, wireless, and video services for the three largest US communications services providers. I have survived long-distance telephone wars, witnessed first-hand the incredible migration to wireless phones, and experienced first-hand persistent industry disruption. I am a passionate advocate for the fifth generation of wireless communications that portends unprecedented leaps forward in the next industrial revolution.