Git/Github Essentials: Everything You Need To Get Started
What you'll learn
- Understand the role Git/GitHub plays in workflows that involve collaboration and version control.
- Understanding of the Git/Github Framework
- Learn how to create and contribute to a GitHub Repository
- Learn how to interact with a GitHub Repository in a way that enables collaboration with others
- No programming experience is required. This class is for beginners, people who are new to Git and wanting to learn Git for their project or for work.
- Create a free GitHub account.
- Install Git on your computer.
- Install VS Code on your computer.
Git is the most used version control software tool, and this course will teach you everything you need to know to get up and running with git. We will go over how we use Git/GiHub in our everyday development environment. We will learn the fundamentals and apply them to a live git repository.
We will cover the following topics:
What is Git/Github? Why are they important?
We will explore the use cases where Git comes in handy and why it is so popular among developers.
Creating and Cloning a GitHub Repository.
We will create a GitHub Repository and clone it via HTTPS.
Staging, Committing, and Pushing to a Repository.
We will make changes to files in our repository, stage those changes, commit them and push them to our remote repository.
Branching, Merging, and Pull Requests.
We will go into branching, checking out multiple branches, making changes to them and merging them back into the default branch. We will also go over pull requests and pulling!
Gitignore, Forking, and Handling Merge Conflicts.
We will go over why the Gitignore file is useful. We will simulate and handle a merge conflict then end by learning about forking.
By the time you're done, you will know enough about Git/GitHub to start using them for your projects or contributing to projects on GitHub.
Who this course is for:
- Beginners - Anyone looking to get into Software Development, Cloud Architecture or technical roles that involve code.
I am a Software Engineer with over 6 years of experience working on mobile application, web application, network automation and more. I love to code and work on complex problems. I am passionate about learning how things work and enjoy the process of learning new technologies and sharing it with the world.