Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Logic Pro
- Get a mac with Logic 8 or 9. Logic X works as well but it has some new features. The basics are the same though.
As a film composer, I had to learn Logic the hard way- thousands of hours of tutorials, years of trial/error, and more questions than I ever wanted to ask. So here, I've put together a super condensed version of what I have learned so far. It's 5 hours of some of the most packed material for a beginner of Logic pro. The first hour is probably the most important where I go over the most basic functions. After that I explain what the effects and such do and how they affect the sound.
This will really save you a ton of time if you go through it. It goes over the most used hotkeys and functions to help you create music, along with an overview of the instruments and effects including a few third party plugins like East/West orchestra. They're all videos, so just sit back, open up your Logic session and take good notes!
- This course is meant for anyone who has never used Logic or a similar DAW program or knows just the basics. This will get you up to speed real fast!
- This course is probably not for those that are already pro Logic users, though if you're intermediate I'm sure you'll learn some new tricks
- 1- Basic Setup14:20
- 2- Record, edit, cut and loop midi note regions14:17
- 3- Loading Instruments, Regions14:29
- 4- Loops, audio, creating/layering a simple song13:51
- 5- Score editor, Step Input Midi14:32
- 6- Piano sustain pedal, Tempo automation, loops14:43
- 7- Loops, Crossfading audio, Composing to video, Beat mapping14:47
- 8- Volume automation, Orchestral midi examples14:34
- 9- Loading and using ES2, EXS 24, ESM Synthesizers14:22
- 10- ES E, ES P, EFM1 Instruments13:34
- 11- ES 1, ES 2 Instruments14:51
- 12- EVB3, EVOC PS, EVP 88, EXS24, Klopfgeist, Test Osc Instruments13:20
- 13- Sculpture, Ultrabeat Instruments13:34
- 14- EXS24, MOTU Ethno/Symphonic Instrument, MachFive 2 Instruments13:57
- 15- East West Orchestral Library, Freezing14:27
- 16- Multi timbral/multi channel with East West, East West Choirs, Word Builder14:06
- 17- East West Choirs and Word Builder, Hollywood Strings13:49
- 18- Word Builder, Recording multiple takes of audio/midi14:23
- 19- Groups, Echo, Delay, Distortion, Amps - Plugin Effects12:10
- 20- Compressor, Noise Gate, EQ, Fuzz-wah, EVOC20, Ringshifter, Phaser12:51
- 21- Pitch Correction/Shifter, Reverb, Denoiser, Gain, Aux tracks/sends11:55
- 22- Last lecture! Electro example with lots of different Automation types08:17
As a film composer I have composed for everything from full orchestras, concert bands, jazz bands, to modern electronic music. I was in Prague in 2014 recording music I composed for an album for a cool upcoming project(can't say more yet) with the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra.
While at Brigham Young University, I won two Student Emmys at the College TV Awards in Hollywood for music I composed for BYU's animations in 2010 and 2014.
I play over 10 instruments from all the instrument families - brass, piano, drums, strings and woodwinds.
I am also in an exciting upcoming cinematic pop band called TREN where we create custom music centered around movies such as Hunger Games, James Bond, Captain America: Civil War, and Alice through the Looking Glass.
I love learning new things and explaining or teaching things in an understandable way. Teaching is my other passion besides music, so I hope that with my courses you'll see those two worlds come together to help you learn effectively!