Unreal Engine: Intro to Game Design
What you'll learn
- How to download and install the Unreal Engine
- How to navigate around inside the Unreal Engine
- How to place, move, rotate, and scale actors in the Unreal Engine
- How to construct a simple game design document
- How to graybox a level in the Unreal Engine
- How to dress-up a level (make it pretty!) in the Unreal Engine
- How to create blueprints in the Unreal Engine
- How to script gameplay functionality with blueprint scripting in the Unreal Engine
- How to create a HUD and menu screens in the Unreal Engine
- How to create a fully functioning game in the Unreal Engine
- Basic computer knowledge
- NO programming experience needed! You'll learn Unreal's "blueprint scripting" to code functionality as we go!
In this introductory game design course, I will be guiding you step by step through the construction of a simple shooting gallery game using the Unreal Engine: THE premier free to download gaming engine! (AND the SAME engine used to build "Fortnite").
This course contains over 90+ fun-to-follow video lessons. Things learned in this course include:
How to setup and create a project in the Unreal Engine
How to add on (free!) content packs from the Epic Games Marketplace
How to navigate and use essential tools available in the Unreal Engine such as the Level Editor, Particle Editor, Sound Editor, etc.
How to create a basic game design document
How to create a graybox (rough draft) level
How to dress up (make pretty!) levels using static meshes, materials, particles, sounds, and lights.
How to create interactive objects using Blueprint Scripting (NO CODING KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED!) including...
How to create Variables
How to create Functions
How to use Event, Flow Control, and Timeline nodes
How to organize your blueprints and scripts
How to create interactive menus
How to create a game HUD
How to add rain to your level
How to create your own customized projectile
How to package a project
With the knowledge gained in these video lessons, you'll be armed with the necessary skills to start building your OWN gaming creations (WITHOUT any programming knowledge needed!)
Who this course is for:
- Beginning game designers
- People interested in learning how to use the Unreal Engine
Greg Wondra is an Unreal Authorized Instructor and 12 year video game design veteran. He's worked for companies such as 2K Sports, KingsIsle Entertainment, and Nickelodeon. Working credits include:
- Wizard 101 (PC)
- Lost Planet 3 (360, PS3, PC)
- MonkeyQuest (PC)
- Sports Champions (PS3)
- Major League Baseball 2K5, 2K6, 2K7, 2K8 (various consoles)
- SpongeBob Moves In (Mobile)
- Grub Guardian (Mobile)
Working in the gaming industry has been a lifetime dream filled with rare opportunities. He's had the good fortune to have directed LeBron James and Derek Jeter in motion capture sessions in his gaming career. Additionally, Greg led the design of "Sports Champions"...the first game ever released for the PS Move hardware.
"Mr. Wondra" has worked as the Video Game Design instructor at the Regional Occupational Center in Bakersfield, CA where he teaches a full year course on game design using the Unreal Engine.