UcanCRISPR online: CRISPR/Cas9 master class
What you'll learn
- At the conclusion of the course students should be able to design a CRISPR experiment including locating CRISPR targets in a gene of interest, determine how to produce a customized sgRNA, introduce the components in a cell, and identify altered organisms.
- A comprehensive overview of CRISPR as an bacterial adaptive immune system, including the multi-step process and evolution of many types..
- How to re-purpose the Cas9 RNA guided nuclease for genetic engineering.
- The transformational techniques using dCas9 to target DNA, including transcriptional reprogramming, visualizing and detecting specific genes, DNA assembly, and many more...
- Methods to screen for changes introduced by CRISPR.
- Pros and cons for different CRISPR experimental formats, including plasmid expression, ribonucleoprotein complexes, or mRNA.
- Structural knowledge about Cas9 and how this has aided design of optimized protein variants.
- Ethical considerations for use of this powerful tool.
- How CRISPR can store new information in a genome in genetic recording approaches.
- A background knowledge of the molecules of life (DNA, RNA, and protein).
Visit our platform page in my bio to get information on free live classes, a discount code for this course, and more.
This is a college level course for a fraction of the cost. There is no other course that covers the breadth of CRISPR and the latest developments. There are several lectures for preview that will give you a good idea if this course is for you.
This course will be an in-depth study of CRISPR/Cas9 as a natural phenomenon, applications, and implications, this course is unique in covering the latest understanding and engineering of CRISPR reported in scientific literature.
Four sections to cover the major areas of CRISPR include:
1. Introduction of the basic components and function of the most widely utilized CRISPR system, Cas9. The CRISPR adaptive immune system protects bacteria and archaea from pathogenic DNA, and has evolved from from several interesting genes into a number of variants.
2. An exploration of the applications of this technology. You will learn about gene disruption by targeted nucleases, and applications of modified non-cutting systems for making other types of modifications. The section starts by introducing the major types of screening procedures used to identify changes made by CRISPR.
3. Implications of the rapid developments and deeper understanding of CRISPR currently taking place. Starting with using protein structure models to engineer the Cas9 protein. CRISPR can store new sequence in a genome and respond to alterations in cell state in novel ways. Since this technology is becoming very widely available the ramifications of different use cases will be considered.
4. A final section will discuss designing CRISPR systems for different use cases, including in vivo expression and use of purified complexes. Two demonstrations of identifying target sites in genes of interest, with methods to produce the customized sgRNA are made.
Develop understanding of CRISPR as a natural phenomenon.
Learn the different technologies built on the CRISPR platform.
Be able to assess approaches to different CRISPR experiments in a variety of host organisms.
Use the knowledge to design custom guide RNAs and determine how to obtain the materials.
Who this course is for:
- Those who are curious about biotechnology but have consumed the free resources available.
- Scientists who want a complete view of CRISPR but do not have time to do a literature review.
- Biohackers who need an in-depth knowledge to do novel experiments.
- Biotechnology students who want an in-depth class on CRISPR.
I focus on accessible open-source technology that can remove barriers to entry and develop post-scarcity systems. My professional training is in molecular biology, in which I hold a PhD. Several of the genetic engineering tools I developed are published as peer reviewed studies, and I am working to make them more accessible. I hope to develop courses on Udemy that can introduce the power of genetic engineering to more people.