Typography Fundamentals - Feel confident with type!
What you'll learn
- Develop the capacity to individuate different styles and influences in typefaces
- Feel confident when choosing and combining typography
- Avoid common mistakes
- Make an effective use of typography
- No software or software knowledge is required.
Typography is present in every graphic design project, whether it be print or digital, motion or brand identity. This course explains how to use type properly in order to obtain professional results. The course directly addresses development of the skills a graphic designer must master for real world projects.
The use of video, voiceover, images and motion help to create a smooth and efficient learning experience with lasting results.
The course It’s structured in the following way:
Develop a basic knowledge of the shape, proportions, and historical heritage of the letterforms that permit the graphic designer to classify typefaces into categories.
Once basic knowledge is required and common language is established, a method that can be applied to any graphic design project is presented. This method will enable the student to choose the right typefaces for each project with confidence.
3. Obtaining Visible Professional Results:
There are many specific elements of typography that a professional graphic designer must master in order to deliver the desired result in a clean and effective manner.
The following concepts are explained:
· Kerning, tracking, leading, alignment and spacing
· A collection of Dos and Don’ts as well as Quick Tips that will come in handy in every project is presented
The use of quizzes at the end of each lesson will allow the student to gauge their understanding of the most important concepts.
5. Keep learning!
Recommended books and online resources are presented for the purpose of ongoing learning as well as staying updated about current typography trends.
As stated above, this course is less about the history of typography and is father strictly relevant for people who want to develop skills and learn the tools needed for typography now.
Who this course is for:
- This course is perfect for graphic designers that are already working, that need the knowledge now, and may be they don’t have enough time to read or follow long courses. Non graphic designers are NOT excluded for we start from the beginning and really anybody interested in typography may follow this course.
I have twenty years’ experience in graphic design and art direction, and I have completed successful projects across many different industries, including; fashion, beauty and cosmetics, health, finance, design, arts and more. My clients have included many prominent Italian and international brands. In providing innovative solutions for these clients, I have embraced a wide range of technologies; from interactive CDs to the most recent web and mobile applications – including traditional printing of catalogues, brochures, books, packaging and brand ID solutions.