Creating a Transgender friendly workplace
What you'll learn
- key terminology around gender identities and the gender spectrum
- what we mean by ‘binary’ and ‘non-binary’ gender identities
- what gender transitioning and gender-affirming surgeries can involve
- inappropriate language and behaviour that transgender people can encounter
- how to behave appropriately and respectfully towards transgender people
- appropriate language and forms of address
- how the law protects transgender people in the UK and Europe.
- the importance of supporting your trans staff and workers
- how to draw up workplace transgender policies
- how to support a transgender employee through their gender transition
- the role of LGBT+ support groups and the importance of having an open dialogue around trans issues
- No prior knowledge required.
Transgender people are people whose gender identity differs from the one they were assigned at birth. In spite of the legal protection offered in the UK by the Equality Act and the Gender Recognition Act, many transgender people still continue to encounter inappropriate behaviour and a lack of understanding and respect, both in the workplace and outside.
Using a mix of drama, real-life stories, expert commentary and legal analysis, this course provides a unique insight into what it’s like to be transgender in today’s society, setting out appropriate language and etiquette and reinforcing the importance of treating transgender colleagues and customers with the dignity and respect they deserve.
Who this course is for:
- Anybody who would like to know what it means to be transgender today and wants to know how to work respectfully and appropriately with transgender colleagues and customers.
At Skill Boosters we work with leading subject matter experts to design, develop and deliver effective video based training for the workplace. We are passionate about delivering impactful training which helps to build productive, tolerant and inclusive individuals, teams and workplaces and which improves lives and life chances.
Our courses combine video drama, expert analysis, documentary sequences and interactive study to provide flexible, cost-effective training that engages, informs and inspires our learners.
Skill Boosters courses and resources are trusted by many of the world's leading organisations to develop and improve the skills and behaviours of their people.