Photographic Style in Photoshop
What you'll learn
- Master photography in Photoshop, including color, light & shadow, adjustments, blending, masking, and much more.
- Tint and split-tone Color and Black and White photography.
- Blend color layers into specific tonal regions.
- Apply and enhance color to evoke emotions in the viewer.
- Create color and Black & White looks and styles from scratch.
- Create a Black & White style based on a vintage Gold-Toned Albumen print.
- Save your Color or Black & White settings and presets so that you can apply them again and again.
- Package Color or Black & White "looks" to offer for sale in the digital marketplace.
- Use color palettes to tint different portions of a photograph.
- Use Hue contrast and Saturation contrast to draw in the eye of the viewer.
- Color grade photographs, or video, using the powerful color tools that Photoshop has to offer.
- Understand color basics using Photoshop's amazing color tools, and the ability to create unique color palettes.
- Create a Color presets using Photoshop's powerful Color Lookup adjustment.
- Use Photoshop's adjustments to alter the color palette in your images.
- Use artworks as color templates for styles.
- Use the amazing Camera Raw Filter to create gorgeous Black & White images.
- Read color numbers to control color matching and color adjustments.
- Use multiple adjustments together to achieve a unique color look.
- Use Photoshop's Histories to apply filters and color modes non-destructively.
- Control colors and tones to create startling renditions in Black & White.
- Use Lightroom's unique color palette to adjust colors and tones.
- Take advantage of Lightroom's intuitive controls to tint and split tone images with masterful control.
- Go beyond Lightroom's presets to create unique Color or Black & White styles.
- You'll want to have Photoshop to practice with.
- I provide sample images to use, for each of the modules, as well as lots of PDF practice exercises. Students are always most interested when working on your own photography, and I encourage you to have your own work as you work through the practice exercises.
- Because the new Photography Package that Adobe distributes via Creative Cloud also includes Lightroom, I devote a final series of video lectures to creative Black-and-White toning in Lightroom. For those that don't have or want to use Lightroom, those same techniques can be applied in Photoshop's Camera Raw module, or in recent versions by using the Camera Raw filter.
What students have to say:
"Great coverage and well presented."
"This was a useful course because of its focus on colour, rather than the broader "how to use photoshop" type course."
"Excellent and well structured..."
"I'm impressed. I'm a long time photoshop user..."
Master the Color and Black & White tools and techniques in Photoshop that will turn your images into powerful visual statements with dramatic color or black and white tones. Go far beyond the image as it came out of your camera and gain complete control over the look and feel of your photographs. Learn with detailed video explanations and lots of hands-on practice exercises.
For Color photography, you will work with multiple techniquesincluding advanced blending, and split toning. For Black & White photography, Steve guides you through the most important Black & White workflows in Photoshop. You will use this foundation to apply toning and split-toning techniques using Photoshop's feature set - including the step-by-step process Steve used to create Photoshop's Photographic Toning presets. Throughout all the lectures Steve provides you with thorough, clear, and detailed step-by-step instructions, as well as hands-on practice activities. Any questions you have will be answered by your instructor via the course dashboard.
After learning about color and emotion in photography, you will dive in to the powerful photographic features available in Photoshop, including Blending Modes and Blending Options, the Camera Raw filter, Curves as a color adjustment, Layer Masks, Calculations, Gradient Map, Color Lookup (3DLUT) exports, and hidden yet powerful features.
As you work alongside Steve, you'll be amazed at the stunning Color and Black & White looks, styles and effects you will be able to apply to your images. And that is the best way to take the course - work along with the instructor. Watch a lecture and try out that lecture's techniques in Photoshop using the hands-on practice files and PDF projects attached to the lectures. Your instructor will answer any questions you have as you work through the course to master Color and Black-and-White in Photoshop.
Create custom color looks and develop a unique style for your photography
Comprehensive Color and Black & White workflows and techniques to add atmosphere and depth to your photography.
Steve's technique for creating Black & White Gradient Map presets
Use hue contrast and saturation contrast to draw in the eye of the viewer.
Control the blending of colors and tints into specific tonal regions of your photographs.
Use the color style from artworks or photographs to create color themes and styles in Photoshop that can be applied to your photography, or packaged to share or sell.
Stylize photography from artworks.
Create a Black-and-White look based on a vintage Gold-toned Albumen print and apply that to your images.
Explore the Color and Black & White tinting and toning features in Photoshop's own Camera Raw
Who this course is for:
- This course is designed for photographers and photo enthusiasts that want to be in absolute control over their Color or Black & White photography.
- This course is for anyone that wants to learn how to stylize Color or Black and White photographs.
- Photoshop users with any version of Photoshop will be able to follow along and complete the exercises in this course. While one or two features are unique to more recent versions, I demonstrate workarounds for earlier versions wherever available.
- Anyone that wants to learn Photoshop, whether intermediate-to-advanced users or complete beginners.
Steve has been teaching photography for over 25 years, drawing on his professional background as a widely published advertising and corporate photographer. Author of 2 books on photography and Adobe Photoshop, Steve loves demystifying the art of photography for enthusiastic students. Steve is a Certified Technical Trainer, and has won a Videographer Award for video-based training. When not teaching Steve can be found photographing the coastline of New Jersey.
Adobe Certified Instructor (ACI, ACE, CompTIA CTT+)
Produced Photoshop's "Photographic Toning" presets
Author, Cengage Learning, "Irreverent Photo Tools for Digital Photographers"
Author, Cengage Learning, "Adobe Photoshop & the Art of Photography"