Tiny House Design Part 4 - Custom Design
What you'll learn
- Start the design of their own custom tiny house.
- Answer the big questions of how to design each space in their tiny house
- Understand whether they should buy, hire or design their own tiny home.
- Be able to design in plan and think in elevation of their own tiny home.
- Know their options for selecting doors and windows in their home and how these can impact the feel of their space.
- Have a good understanding of the pros and cons of various finish materials both inside and outside their tiny home.
- Students should bring an open mind and their curiosity of tiny houses!
This is going to be a conversation about how to design your own tiny house. Fact is tiny houses HAVE to be suited for their occupants, there is no 'one-size-fits-all' but there are things to consider and think about in your daily life. I will share some of the important questions to ask yourself, some things to consider and give you some general rules and background of design to help make the appropriate decisions. Design is daunting but it's also systematic and with tiny houses, form really does follow function, there are reasons that one strategy makes sense over others. In addition to talking about the design of the actual house I will touch on designing your lifestyle!
There are approximately 2 hours of information relating to design, materials, and processes - as it applies to tiny homes. This course is formatted to provide the information relevant to you and enable you to make the best decision for yourself. If you are excited about tiny houses and how they may empower you this course is for you!
Who this course is for:
- This course is for all of those interested in learning the options and opportunities when it comes to transitioning to a tiny house
- This course is for those in the beginning stages of understanding all of the decisions that go into your own tiny home.
- This course is probably not for you if you are looking for in depth 'how-to' information on the steps to building your own tiny home.
- This course if for those looking to learn more about the tiny house movement and if it is right for you!
Macy Miller graduated with a Masters Degree in Architecture in 2007 and has devoted her career to sustainable design and instruction, she is a LEED Accredited Professional with a passion for education. As a project, she started the design and construction of her 196 s.f. tiny house in 2011 and has been living tiny with her family every since. Macy's home has been featured in Dwell Magazine, TIME Magazine, on Yahoo and various other sites internationally. Since completing her home she has stayed very involved in the tiny house community and strives to help empower others to be able to take on the same challenges!
In 2016, Macy and her family downsized yet again to take life on the go. After re-building a 1966 travel trailer to suite their needs, they set off on a National Park roadtrip. 40,000+ miles later they are helping others figure out how to do similar!