Tiny House Design Part 3 - Utilities and Systems
What you'll learn
- Understand the options you have to hook up to power, water and sewer in your tiny house.
- Understand the pros and cons to various fixtures in your tiny house.
- Choose the right type of toilet for your tiny house based on the pros and cons of all the options.
- Have a very basic understanding of the options you have electrically in your tiny home.
- consider safety options and measures for your tiny house.
- Have a good understanding of the methods you can use to heat and cool your tiny home.
- Understand the methods of waste water management for your tiny house including both grey and black water management.
- Students should bring an open mind and their curiosity of tiny houses!
This is going to be a conversation about the utilities and hookups available for tiny houses including pros and cons of each. I will talk about on-grid, off-grid and self contained options when it comes to water, sewer and electric as well as a basic intro to wiring and plumbing.
I will go through all the fixtures and options as far as plumbing, heating and cooling your tiny house. This will be the one where we talk at length about toilets and all the options there ;-).
There are approximately 2 hours of information relating to utilities, fixtures and systems as they apply to tiny homes. This course is formatted to provide the information relevant to you and enable you to make the best decision for yourself. If you are excited about tiny houses and how they may empower you this course is for you!
Who this course is for:
- This course is for all of those interested in learning the options and opportunities when it comes to transitioning to a tiny house
- This course is for those in the beginning stages of understanding all of the decisions that go into your own tiny home.
- This course is probably not for you if you are looking for in depth 'how-to' information on the steps to building your own tiny home.
- This course if for those looking to learn more about the tiny house movement and if it is right for you!
Macy Miller graduated with a Masters Degree in Architecture in 2007 and has devoted her career to sustainable design and instruction, she is a LEED Accredited Professional with a passion for education. As a project, she started the design and construction of her 196 s.f. tiny house in 2011 and has been living tiny with her family every since. Macy's home has been featured in Dwell Magazine, TIME Magazine, on Yahoo and various other sites internationally. Since completing her home she has stayed very involved in the tiny house community and strives to help empower others to be able to take on the same challenges!
In 2016, Macy and her family downsized yet again to take life on the go. After re-building a 1966 travel trailer to suite their needs, they set off on a National Park roadtrip. 40,000+ miles later they are helping others figure out how to do similar!