- 5.5 hours on-demand video
- 27 articles
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Understand the background surrounding this wonderful Gospel as well as how the writing relates to us today.
- Describe the different overarching themes that tie the Gospel of John together.
- Explain the elements of the Gospel of John that are so important to embrace today.
- Delineate the similarities and differences between the issues of today that overlap with the issues Jesus spoke about in this Gospel.
- Develop a broader understanding of what it means to be a King Jesus follower in a countercultural way.
- Appreciate the importance of having a robust understanding of the seven overarching themes that the Gospel of John identifies.
- This course only requires a desire to learn about the New Testament. No other materials are required.
The Gospel of John has been a favorite of many readers of the New Testament and is full of beauty, mystery, and, occasionally, surprises. Jesus, in this Gospel, points to a new way of living. It is the Kingdom of God way of life. This way of life was in contrast to the normal Roman way of living in the first century A.D as much as it is in contrast to what most people in the twenty-first century experience.
The course approaches the Gospel of John in a way that looks at seven key themes. These themes bind the Fourth Gospel together in a manner that allows us to see this 'new way of living' as possible for followers of King Jesus. In so doing, we then apply these themes to the current era in order to ask ourselves questions about how we are putting them into practice. In a way, this is the story of how to live out being the presence of God on earth through the indwelling of God's spirit.
Students will encounter these seven themes through understanding many biblical references which Prof. Wright explains. The course is not an 'exegetical' walk through the text. Rather, the explanation of cultural and historical background of our era is explored to help us apply the Gospel of John to today's world. This makes the study very application oriented.
- This course is for students with an interest in the New Testament writings, particularly the Gospel of John, likely written towards the end of the First Century A.D.
- This course is designed to enable the student to discover what the Gospel of John highlights as vital to our understanding of this beautiful Gospel.
- Anyone with an interest in the Bible will be encouraged by this course.