U.S. Residential Real Estate & Mortgage Business
What you'll learn
- To describe the real estate mortgage market, including how and why people finance properties with mortgages.
- To understand the size and scope of the U.S. residential mortgage market.
- To describe the key players in the mortgage industry, the functions and roles they have, and identify the phases of the mortgage life cycle.
- To discuss current and historic mortgage regulation.
- To identify key mortgage types and describe the audience and markets for each.
- To list and discuss property types, and demonstrate the risks of each.
- To describe the importance of mortgage loans, including their terms and conditions, as well as the full meaning of each.
- To explain the full consumer mortgage underwriting lifecycle from the consumer, originator, underwriter and financier POVs, and each step along the way.
- To explain the mortgage life cycle from both the consumer's and the lender's point of view.
- To conduct a borrower income analysis, read and understand credit history and reports, and evaluate the credit worthiness of a borrower.
- To understand appraisals and asset valuations, and details of the appraisal process and walkthrough.
- To explain titling and insurance; titling requirements and issues.
- To demonstrate the math behind mortgage pricing.
- To present mortgage metrics and be able to provide an overview of loan approvals and rejections.
- To describe the risks and rewards of originating, servicing and securitizing mortgages.
- You'll learn about loan servicing and servicing regulations.
- To identify financial distress in mortgages, including early warning signs, foreclosure alternatives, and loss mitigation strategies.
- To appreciate how mortgage securitization works, and learn why financial institutions securitize mortgages.
- To define securitization, learn why financial institutions securitize mortgages, and advantages and disadvantages of securitization to the issuer and investor.
- To understand what a mortgage backed security (MBS) is, how rating agencies are involved in evaluating MBS securitizations, and appreciate the complexities.
- Knowledge of the English language.
The United States residential real estate market is enormous comprising a value of over $8.5 trillion in property and projected to grow at approximately 9% per year through 2027. At any given time, over 1 million housing units are for sale with an average sale price of over $300,000, or total transaction volume annually well in excess of $300 billion. In a market as large as this, understanding the details of how the U.S. residential real estate market works is essential for any professional working in this space
This course covers what you will need to know to function effectively in the real estate business, whether as a banker, financier, underwriter, property manager, investor, operations professional or other person working in the field. This course was written by Paul Siegel and delivered by Russ Faulkner in collaboration to ensure you have everything you need to know to be knowledgeable about residential real estate and mortgages in the United States. Paul was active as an investment banker and was involved in the financing of over $1 billion of real property in the U.S.; and, Russ, worked for one of the largest global banks delivering top-notch training to employees and consultants worldwide.
This program is one of the most highly rated real estate and mortgage courses available anywhere. It has been used by the world’s largest financial institutions and technology companies to train their staff on what the U.S. residential real estate and mortgage markets are all about.
* * * * *
Building from the ground up (pun intended), we cover the most essential elements of the residential real estate and mortgage business (e.g., the important players, segments of the business key terminology that you need to know) and then jump right into unpackaging the consumer buying cycle and examine the lifecycle of a residential mortgage from origination and underwriting through to syndication and distribution. We spend time examining what goes into originating, servicing, and valuing a mortgage by examining the metrics that make up the loan process. We also examine the tools that help a financial institution or mortgage underwriting business make a sound creditworthiness decision, by exploring the credit report and the real estate appraisal. Finally, we demystify the mortgage securitization process so that you understand how a simple real estate loan is bundled with others to become security which the underwriting organization can then package and resell into the market to recycle its capital.
This course contains nearly 30 modules in 3 sections and is structured so you have a clear awareness of how residential mortgages work in the real world:
· U.S. Residential Mortgage Business and Process Fundamentals
· U.S. Residential Mortgage Analysis: Bringing It All Together
· Loan Management, Servicing and Securitization
this course's contents consist of videos for each section along with accompanying pdfs of each slide that outlines the key elements to be covered, and then followed in each module that consists of a narrated presentation.
* * * * *
This course is part of a much larger curriculum available from the instructors entitled: U.S. Residential Real Estate Immersion Program. That certification program is divided into Core, Intermediate and Advance components which together comprise approximate 90 hours of on-demand, live and exercise/quiz/test content, incorporating:
Module 1 - The Real Estate Business
Module 2 - Real Estate Laws, Qualifications, Requirements and Measurements
Module 3 - Real Property Rights
Module 4 - Title, Deeds, and Ownership Restrictions
Module 5 - Real Estate Contracts
Module 6 - Residential Mortgages and Property Financings
Module 7 - Types of Mortgages and Sources of Finance
Module 8 - Real Estate Deal Closings and Financial Calculations
Module 9 - Real Estate Market Analysis and Property Appraisals
Module 10 - Planning, Zoning, Environmental Hazards, and Taxes
* * * * *
More about this course and Starweaver
This course is led by a seasoned real estate investment banking industry practitioner and executive with many years of hands-on, in-the-trenches real estate analysis, underwriting, packaging and marketing work. It has been designed, produced and delivered by Starweaver. Starweaver is one of the most highly regarded, well-established training providers in the world, providing training courses to many of the leading financial institutions and technology companies, including:
Ahli United Bank; Mashreqbank; American Express; ANZ Bank; ATT; Banco Votorantim; Bank of America; Bank of America Global Markets; Bank of America Private Bank; Barclay Bank; BMO Financial Group; BMO Financial Services; BNP Paribas; Boeing; Cigna; Citibank; Cognizant; Commerzbank; Credit Lyonnais/Calyon; Electrosonic; Farm Credit Administration; Fifth Third Bank; GENPACT; GEP Software; GLG Group; Hartford; HCL; HCL; Helaba; HSBC; HSBC Corporate Bank; HSBC India; HSBC Private Bank; Legal & General; National Australia Bank; Nomura Securities; PNC Financial Services Group; Quintiles; RAK Bank; Regions Bank; Royal Bank of Canada; Royal Bank of Scotland; Santander Corporate Bank; Tata Consultancy Services; Union Bank; ValueMomentum; Wells Fargo; Wells Fargo India Solutions; Westpac Corporate Bank; Wipro; and, many others.
Starweaver has and continues to deliver 1000s of live in-person and online education for organizational training programs for new hires and induction, as well as mid-career and senior-level immersion and leadership courses.
If you are looking for live streaming education or want to understand what courses might be best for you in technology or business, just google:
starweaver journey builder starweaver[dot]com
Who this course is for:
- All levels of audience are encouraged to participate in this course.
We are on a mission to transform technologists into world-class experts, and business people into tech-savvy leaders.
It's that simple!
We are a technology and media company that delivers a completely new, immersive, addictive and connected education experience online for technology and business pros.
We help you develop habits and skills that kick your talent into a star-level of performance!
We deliver superlative, hands-on and practical professional development and education focused on several key domains:
1. Data Science, including big data, machine learning, data visualization, data analytics...
2. Cloud Computing, including Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform / Firebase, IoT, Platform as a Service, Infrastructure as a Services, Software as a Service...
4. Agility & Stability, including a broad group of frameworks and techniques involving Agile, Scrum, Kanban, TOGAF, ITIL, cybersecurity...
5. Business domains, including a strong emphasis on banking, finance, securities, and insurance (e.g., derivatives, credit risk management, corporate finance, financial modelling...)...
Our business is designed to boost your knowledge and skills so that you can apply what you gain immediately in your job, or that next great job you are looking to start. We address, largely, more advanced, or complex subjects and convert those into rational, understandable, and usable information you can employ right away. If you want to take a great leap forward in your career, we are here to make that happen.
Our instructors are seasoned practitioners who have worked in the fields their cover and relate the subjects covered to real work situations you will encounter in your job. So, the concepts are real, the coverage is at the right level of depth, and the material is straightforward.
Who trusts us with their training requirements? The world's preeminent companies, organizations, and agencies. Specifically? Check out our website and you will see that these are the best of the best.
THE ENTREPRENEURIAL SPIRIT
Since I was 15, I have been involved in starting, building, expanding, or growing entrepreneurial ventures. Some ventures began in my backyard; others in someone's basement or apartment; and still others within a huge national or global enterprise. In all cases, what has driven me is taking an idea (or problem) and helping spawn that into a reality.
Whether the venture created is in business, science, the arts, education, or any other humane field of endeavor, invention and discovery drives me. I am also very committed to contribute to my family, friends, colleagues, community, and world.
I have been in so many different ventures in my life that my mother wondered out loud when I was 'going to get a job.' But my job has always been creating jobs. That is the work of an entrepreneur. In the early 1990s, I began my career in technology investment banking, advising software and hardware companies on business and financing strategies, and raising funds for those businesses. At that same time, I took a strong interest in publishing. As we all know, both information publishing companies and technology companies in the 1990s saw their World crash together head on. Each learned they could not survive or thrive if they were not strong in their command of both technology and information.
Not every venture I have been involved in succeeded. Anyone who tell you have a perfect business track record is simply lying. But the failures inform how you do the next one better ..., assuming you are willing to learn and grow by the mistakes you make.
ENTRY INTO THE BUSINESS OF EDUCATION
In 2002, I landed in the education arena when we rescued and then resuscitated a globally well-regarded live, in person training and publishing company that had jumped into e-learning in the late 1990s, way before anyone even knew how that might work online. I ran that business for about 16 years and travelled the World to manage training initiatives for many of the largest global financial institutions, and many 100s of 1000s of individual students (over 10x the number of students I now have on Udemy).
THE BACKDROP | A PASSION FOR LEARNING | PERSISTENCE
As a child, I struggled to read and felt a great deal of embarrassment and frustration because of that. But I refused to let that prevent me from learning. I kept many hundreds of English language words with definitions and their usages on file cards, and daily reviewed and read their meanings and usage. I felt embarrassed, humbled and (rather) angry that I had difficulty learning. But I PERSISTED AND WOULD NOT GIVE UP.
By high school was enrolled in many advanced placement classes, and then was fortunate to end up at an Ivy League school (the University of Pennsylvania) where I majored in Economics and had dual minors in Mathematics and English. I also participated in courses in the UPenn's venerated Benjamin Franklin Scholars program, which was intended to be limited to the most intellectually gifted kids at school (which I was certainly not). So, how did I get to take courses in this program? I demonstrated that I wanted to learn everything and would not compromise on the normal boundaries. I also showed up and would not take no for an answer. I SIMPLY
PERSISTED AND WOULD NOT GIVE UP.
MY TAKEAWAY AND ADVICE FOR YOU
If you want to build your dreams, you can but you must persist. You must set your eye on an ambition and never give up. You must learn to pivot and change as circumstances change, of course, and you must always learn and learn to learn.
My mission is to help you learn and to help you achieve your dreams. Feel free to reach out to me on LinkedIn if I can support your ambitions in any way.
Stay healthy. Stay happy. Keep growing. Always be learning.