U.S. Residential Real Estate, Property & Mortgage Business
What you'll learn
- Describe the real estate mortgage market, including how and why people finance properties with mortgages.
- Explain the size and scope of the U.S. residential mortgage market.
- List and discuss roles of the key players in the mortgage industry and the functions and roles they have.
- Apply current and historic mortgage regulations to financial and credit underwriting of mortgage loans
- Identify key mortgage types and describe the audience and markets for each.
- Delineate the various residential property types, and the risks each has to the mortgage lender.
- Articulate the financial and business terms and conditions related to mortgages, as well as the full meaning and importance of each.
- Explain the full consumer mortgage underwriting lifecycle from the consumer, originator, underwriter and financier POVs, and each step along the way.
- Conduct a borrower income analysis, read and understand credit history and reports, and evaluate the credit worthiness of a borrower.
- Evaluate appraisals and asset valuations, and the appraisals and the appraisal process.
- Explain titling and insurance, titling requirements and related title issues.
- Use (and not be afraid of) the math, rates and calculations behind mortgage pricing.
- Discuss mortgage metrics and be able to provide an overview of loan approvals and rejections.
- Identify financial distress in mortgages, including early warning signs, foreclosure alternatives, and loss mitigation strategies.
- You'll learn about loan servicing and servicing regulations.
- Define securitization, learn why financial institutions securitize mortgages, and advantages and disadvantages of securitization to the issuer and investor.
- Describe the mortgage securitization process, from origination, to packaging and to servicing a securitized portfolio of mortgages.
- Understand what a mortgage backed security (MBS) is, how rating agencies are involved in evaluating MBS securitizations, and appreciate the complexities.
- Knowledge of the English language.
The United States residential real estate market is enormous comprising a value of over $8.5 trillion in property and projected to grow at approximately 9% per year through 2027. At any given time, over 1 million housing units are for sale with an average sale price of over $300,000, or total transaction volume annually well in excess of $300 billion. In a market as large as this, understanding the details of how the U.S. residential real estate market works is essential for any professional working in this space
This course covers what you will need to know to function effectively in the real estate business, whether as a banker, financier, underwriter, property manager, investor, operations professional or other person working in the field. This course was written by Paul Siegel and delivered by Russ Faulkner in collaboration to ensure you have everything you need to know to be knowledgeable about residential real estate and mortgages in the United States. Paul was active as an investment banker and was involved in the financing of over $1 billion of real property in the U.S.; and, Russ, worked for one of the largest global banks delivering top-notch training to employees and consultants worldwide.
This program is one of the most highly rated real estate and mortgage courses available anywhere. It has been used by the world’s largest financial institutions and technology companies to train their staff on what the U.S. residential real estate and mortgage markets are all about.
* * * * *
Building from the ground up (pun intended), we cover the most essential elements of the residential real estate and mortgage business (e.g., the important players, segments of the business key terminology that you need to know) and then jump right into unpackaging the consumer buying cycle and examine the lifecycle of a residential mortgage from origination and underwriting through to syndication and distribution. We spend time examining what goes into originating, servicing, and valuing a mortgage by examining the metrics that make up the loan process. We also examine the tools that help a financial institution or mortgage underwriting business make a sound creditworthiness decision, by exploring the credit report and the real estate appraisal. Finally, we demystify the mortgage securitization process so that you understand how a simple real estate loan is bundled with others to become security which the underwriting organization can then package and resell into the market to recycle its capital.
This course contains nearly 30 modules in 3 sections and is structured so you have a clear awareness of how residential mortgages work in the real world:
· U.S. Residential Mortgage Business and Process Fundamentals
· U.S. Residential Mortgage Analysis: Bringing It All Together
· Loan Management, Servicing and Securitization
this course's contents consist of videos for each section along with accompanying pdfs of each slide that outlines the key elements to be covered, and then followed in each module that consists of a narrated presentation.
* * * * *
This course is part of a much larger curriculum available from the instructors entitled: U.S. Residential Real Estate Immersion Program. That certification program is divided into Core, Intermediate and Advance components which together comprise approximate 90 hours of on-demand, live and exercise/quiz/test content, incorporating:
Module 1 - The Real Estate Business
Module 2 - Real Estate Laws, Qualifications, Requirements and Measurements
Module 3 - Real Property Rights
Module 4 - Title, Deeds, and Ownership Restrictions
Module 5 - Real Estate Contracts
Module 6 - Residential Mortgages and Property Financings
Module 7 - Types of Mortgages and Sources of Finance
Module 8 - Real Estate Deal Closings and Financial Calculations
Module 9 - Real Estate Market Analysis and Property Appraisals
Module 10 - Planning, Zoning, Environmental Hazards, and Taxes
* * * * *
More about this course and Starweaver
This course is led by a seasoned real estate investment banking industry practitioner and executive with many years of hands-on, in-the-trenches real estate analysis, underwriting, packaging and marketing work. It has been designed, produced and delivered by Starweaver. Starweaver is one of the most highly regarded, well-established training providers in the world, providing training courses to many of the leading financial institutions and technology companies, including:
Ahli United Bank; Mashreqbank; American Express; ANZ Bank; ATT; Banco Votorantim; Bank of America; Bank of America Global Markets; Bank of America Private Bank; Barclay Bank; BMO Financial Group; BMO Financial Services; BNP Paribas; Boeing; Cigna; Citibank; Cognizant; Commerzbank; Credit Lyonnais/Calyon; Electrosonic; Farm Credit Administration; Fifth Third Bank; GENPACT; GEP Software; GLG Group; Hartford; HCL; HCL; Helaba; HSBC; HSBC Corporate Bank; HSBC India; HSBC Private Bank; Legal & General; National Australia Bank; Nomura Securities; PNC Financial Services Group; Quintiles; RAK Bank; Regions Bank; Royal Bank of Canada; Royal Bank of Scotland; Santander Corporate Bank; Tata Consultancy Services; Union Bank; ValueMomentum; Wells Fargo; Wells Fargo India Solutions; Westpac Corporate Bank; Wipro; and, many others.
Starweaver has and continues to deliver 1000s of live in-person and online education for organizational training programs for new hires and induction, as well as mid-career and senior-level immersion and leadership courses.
If you are looking for live streaming education or want to understand what courses might be best for you in technology or business, just google:
starweaver journey builder starweaver[dot]com
Who this course is for:
- All levels of audience are encouraged to participate in this course.
Starweaver is an education company comprised of hundreds of leading instructors based around the world. Our instructors are seasoned practitioners who have worked in the fields their cover and relate the subjects covered to real work situations you will encounter in your job. Thus, the concepts and worked examples are real, the coverage is at the right level of depth, and the material is straightforward.
We deliver practical and hands-on courses focused in several key domains:
1. Data Science, including big data, machine learning, data visualization, data analytics...
2. Cloud Computing, including Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform / Firebase, IoT, Platform as a Service, Infrastructure as a Services, Software as a Service...
4. Agility & Stability, including a broad group of frameworks and techniques involving Agile, Scrum, Kanban, TOGAF, ITIL, cybersecurity...
5. Finance, Banking, Securities & Business, including a strong emphasis on banking, finance, securities, and insurance (e.g., derivatives, credit risk management, corporate finance, financial modelling...)...
Each course is designed to boost your knowledge and skills in the shortest possible time so that you can apply what you gain immediately in your job, or that next great job you are looking to start. We cover the full range of skills from the most introductory for students and new career starters, as well as advanced or complex subjects.
If you want to take a great leap forward in your career, we are here to make that happen. Let's get going!
LEARNING IS ABOUT DETERMINATION
Persistence and determination beats the natural gifts and intelligence that you are born with. If there is only one take-away you have from reading about my experience and education over many years it is just that.
Luck is the second most valuable thing to possess. But, you never get lucky if you are not prepared. Your determination will get and keep you prepared, and then "getting lucky" will simply be appearing in the right place at the right time.
You don't need to be persistent or lucky all the time: just at the right time. That is, assuming you are prepared. Think of this like a surfboarder paddling out to the waves. Prepare and train so you are ready. Paddle out and put yourself in what you see at the "right" position. Watch the waves and currents. Use your training adjust your position. And, when the timing is right, paddle furiously, get on your board, apply what you've been trained to do and give it everything you've got!
MY COMMITMENT TO YOU
I am dedicated to designing, developing and delivering great content for you. I hope I have done that successfully here, and I believe you can see that in the 100s of 1000s of students signed up for my courses.
I have been creating live and recorded courses for many years, and have a great team of instructors who deliver excellent content. All of these instructors are former (or current) practitioners, so what you will learn is designed and created with real world applications in mind.
EDUCATION IS A PARTNERSHIP BETWEEN STUDENT & INSTRUCTOR
i believe education needs to be interactive and engaging. For you to really learn, you need to be involved, to ask questions, and to interact with me, your instructors, and your fellow students. Gone are the days of memorization. By getting involved you will challenge me (and yourself) so that you solidify your understanding and your ability to apply what you learn in your job and life.
Here are some suggestions that will help you out:
1. Commit to start your course on a specific date and time.
2. Commit to dedicate X hours per day to that course (ideally at the same time of day/night)
3. Review what you didn't understand after you have moved forward. That is, 'go back to go forward.'
4. Participate in our community. Ask questions. Push back on what is presented. Make us do more to help you learn. If we (or any other instructor) doesn't do that, then the courses simply become dusty content on your digital shelf. You will actually have learned very little.
My singular goal is to spread useful knowledge and skills to you. That is why I am here. Feel free to reach out to me in our classes and online.
Always be learning.