The SUN Records Rockabilly Guitar Solos - Part 1
What you'll learn
- play the authentic intros, solos and outros from 10 songs the way they were recorded at SUN Records
- gain a better understanding of chord shapes and how to derive solos from them
- know some more history about the men who invented and shaped Rock'n'Roll
- learn something about how to get the SUN sound
- You should be familiar with some open chords as well as bar chords and some simple melody playing.
- It's definitely an advantage if you know how to read guitar tabs, but it's not required
- Guitar pro or a similar software to read and play guitar tabs would be nice, but I will also provide all tabs in PDF format.
- You obviously need a guitar to play along
SUN Records is often called the birthplace of Rock'n'Roll, it's also the birthplace of Rockabilly. This little studio in Memphis is the place where Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison and many other music stars started their career.
Behind those singers were a group of talented guitarists who didn't know that they would write history by mixing Rhythm and Blues with Country Licks and inventing a musical genre, that changed the world.
If you love the honest, raw and exciting Memphis Rockabilly guitar sound of the 1950s, then this course is for you.
I picked 9 songs and I will teach you the solos exactly how they were played back then.
Split screen technique, tabs and authentic jam tracks in 4 different tempos will help you to learn these solos as fast as possible.
I will also give you some background information to each songs. Furthermore I have added intros and verses to some of the songs as well, so you will be able to play the complete song after finishing the lessons.
The course will start with simple solos and it'll get more complex later on.
Here is the list of the songs featured in this course:
Take Me (Garden Of Evil) by Jimmy Wages, guitar: Ray Harris
Drinkin' Wine by Gene Simmons, guitar: Carl Simmons
I Walk The Line by Johnny Cash, guitar: Luther Perkins
Only You by Carl Perkins, guitar: Carl Perkins
Get It Off Your Mind by Kenny Parchman, guitar: Richard Page
I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine by Elvis Presley, guitar: Scotty Moore
Prisoner Of The Blues by Tommy Ruick, guitar: Hank Hanlain,
Miss Froggie by Warren Smith, guitar: Al Hopson
Matchbox by Carl Perkins, guitar: Carl Perkins
Who this course is for:
- This course is meant for guitar players who have played guitar for at least a year or so.
- They should be able to play simple melodies and chords on the guitar.
- I assume, that you are interested in 1950s rockabilly/rock and roll
- This course is not for you, if you have just started to play the guitar
My name is Randy Richter, I was born in 1974 in Rostock, Germany. At age 16 I started to teach myself how to play the guitar. Shortly after I played shows around my hometown and in 1996 I became a full time professional musician. With my band Randy Rich and The Poor Boys we've toured all over Europe and the US and appeared on the biggest festivals in the scene. Due to our excellent skills and our love to the authentic sound of the 1950s I had the chance to play and record with many of the original rockabilly legends like Janis Martin, Glenn Honeycutt, Eddie Bond and Glen Glenn.
In 2005 I started to teach guitar to some local students. Because of the fun I was having doing that I extended this part of my job even further and now I'm also teaching people online via Skype. With my Rockabilly Guitar Video Lessons I have the chance to share my knowledge and my passion for the music of the 1950s to thankful students everywhere in the world.