The structure of thinking - Lists, Tree Diagrams & Mind Maps
What you'll learn
- Clarity about differences between types of Graphic Organisers
- How long lists are a very lazy way to present information
- Understand the principles of a tree diagram
- Understand some of the limitations of a tree diagram
- Why Mind Mapping is a very special type of graphic organiser
- Why it is so difficult to learn from a list
- The tree diagram as an organising principle underlying many different graphic organisers
- Learn about how you can visualise the structure of your thinking
- No special skills or equipment are required to take this course
- Curiosity about learning and thinking will be helpful
- An interest in graphic organisers will be helpful
- An interest in Mind Mapping is helpful but not essential
The course explores the structure of thinking and usefulness and purpose of Graphic Organisers and in particular why Mind Mapping is a particularly useful graphical organiser technique for thought organisation and for getting clarity with thinking.
The course starts by looking at the downsides of creating large lists and how graphical organisers like the tree diagram can make lists more intelligible through organising information into linked hierarchies. A very primitive way to organise a list is with outlining (a feature available on most word processors) and I show how outlining is a half way step toward creating a tree diagram.
We then look at how the tree diagram can itself be reformatted into a radiant organiser and what benefits accrue from doing this. Then through the application of Buzan's principles for Mind Mapping, the course demonstrates how any radiant organiser can be transformed into a (proper) Mind Map.
The course is likely to be of interest to anyone interested to learn more about the structure of their thinking especially in the context of using Mind Mapping for this particular purpose
For those not familiar with Buzan's principles of Mind Mapping these principles are summarised in the last section of the course
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who would like to improve their thinking skills
- Anyone looking to become a more effective communicator
- Students who want an effective way to get their thoughts down onto paper
- Students who struggle to learn
- Anyone who has taken an interest in Mind Mapping and wants to know more about why it is such a useful technique
I'm a speaker, trainer, and personal development coach based in the UK with a special interest in the brain, accelerated learning and people development. My present focus is developing high quality, simple, innovative, life-skills based, video e-learning courses. I now have around 35,000 students in more than 160 countries - this is the reach and power of e-learning.
My 'MIND MAPPING MASTERY' Course is currently the NUMBER ONE Personal Development course in the mind mapping niche, with more than twice the number of enrollments and ten times the number of four and five-star reviews compared to the next most popular course. A course that's genuinely worth paying that little bit extra for.
A bit of background information about me:
I've worked in schools, colleges and universities in the UK, and also in the corporate and SME sector, working with students, teachers, apprentices, managers and leaders. My background is actually in clinical science where I ran an NHS Clinical Biochemistry Department in a District General Hospital and I was also a Quality Consultant to my local hospitals and local Health Authority. I also have an active interest in Health and Healing.
Back in 1996, after training in 'mental literacy' with Tony Buzan (the inventor of Mind Mapping), I set up my own training company the House of Learning. A year later, I put some of my new skills to the test and competed in the World Memory and the World Speed Reading Championships (silver medal position in the latter). Altogether, I have 20 years experience working in the personal development sector and in the field of business leadership. I am also a teacher and practitioner of Reiki and I have a Udemy course about the 'Science of Healing'
'Mind Mapping Mastery' was my first course in this marketplace and I now also have a 'Smart Learning' , 'Smart Speaking' and a 'Smart Teaching' course all of which incorporate mind mapping into the teaching. I have several more courses in the pipeline. Many of my students have English as a second language and they find my courses easy to follow.