The Secrets to Drawing
What you'll learn
- By the end of this course, the student will have a strong understanding of the core concepts of drawing including materials, processes, and devices.
- No prior knowledge is necessary.
Drawing is a skill that is learned and developed and this video course is designed to give you the knowledge that you need to draw better almost immediately! Anyone can learn how to draw. Each aspect of drawing is broken down into “easy to follow" and “easy to understand" segments complete with drawing demonstrations and commentary. All lessons are presented in High Definition! There are a total of 28 HD videos with over 500 minutes of drawing instruction. The course also includes 26 ebooks that combine for 178 pages with 498 color illustrations.
Here's what's included...
- Video 1 – “Introduction"- An introduction to “The Secrets to Drawing" video series.
- Video 2 – “Line" – A look at the element of art, line and its relationship to drawing. Concepts covered include contour, blind contour, line quality, and cross contour lines.
- Video 3 – “Shape" – A look at how shapes can be used to draw anything. Concepts covered include geometric and organic shapes, using shapes to draw objects.
- Video 4 – “Form" – A look at how to create the illusion of form on a 2-Dimensional surface. Concepts covered include turning shapes into forms, using shadow to further the illusion.
- Video 5 – “Value" – This video takes a look at the element of art, value and its relationship with drawing. Concepts explored include tints, shades, highlights and shadows, and creating the illusion of a light source.
- Video 6 – “Space" – This video takes a look at how to create the illusion of space on a 2-Dimensional surface. Concepts covered include overlapping, size, value/color, detail, placement on the paper, and linear perspective.
- Video 7 – “One Point Perspective" – Space is explored further in this video through one point perspective. Concepts covered include horizon line, vanishing point, one point perspective.
- Video 8 – “Two Point Perspective" – A look at how to use two point perspective to create the illusion of space in a drawing. Concepts covered include horizon line, vanishing points, two point perspective.
- Video 9 – “Three Point Perspective" – A look at creating the illusion of space through three point perspective. Concepts covered include vanishing points, horizon line, steps to three point perspective.
- Video 10 – “Drawing Techniques" – A look at basic drawing techniques and suggested media. Concepts covered include medium, hatching, cross hatching, blending, rendering, random lines, and stippling.
- Video 11 – “Drawing from Life" – Tips on drawing from life. Concepts covered include still life lighting, using a view finder, and sighting techniques.
- Video 12 – “Drawing from Photos" – How to draw realistic drawings from photographs. Concepts covered include cropping photos, editing photos, creating a grid, drawing with the aid of the the grid.
- Video 13 – “Composition" – How to create successful compositions in drawings. Concepts covered include sketching thumbnails, positive and negative space, Plato's Rule, The Rule of Thirds, The Golden Mean, eye movement, and how to create focal points.
- Video 14 – “Graphite" – A description and characteristics of the drawing medium, graphite. Concepts explored include graphite grades, characteristics, forms, and techniques.
- Video 15 – “Charcoal" – A look at the drawing medium, charcoal. Concepts covered include charcoal forms and applications.
- Video 16 – “Drawing with Ink" – An exploration of the drawing medium of ink. Concepts covered include ink wash, choosing the right ink, pen and ink applications with a nib pen.
- Video 17 – “Color" – A look at the three parts of color theory and how it influences color choices in our drawings. Concepts covered include: the color wheel, primary, secondary, tertiary, color values, color intensity, psychological effects of color, color schemes, monochromatic, complementary, color triads, color tetrads, analogous, warm, cool, split complementary.
- Video 18 – “Colored Pencils" – How to use colored pencils. Concepts covered include layering, mixing, building up colors, burnishing, and adding details.
- Video 19 – “Oil Pastels" – An exploration into the drawing medium of oil pastels. Concepts covered include layering, mixing, and landscape drawing with oil pastels.
- Video 20 – “Soft Pastels" – An in-depth look at the use of soft pastels in the creation of a seascape. Concepts covered include proper use of soft pastels including smudging and layering colors.
- Video 21 – “Facial Proportions" – A look at basic facial proportions from the front and profile views. Concepts covered include general locations of facial features and placement relationships.
- Video 22 – “The Eye" – An in-depth look at drawing a human eye.
- Video 23 – “The Nose and the Mouth" – A look at drawing the nose and the mouth.
- Video 24 – “The Ear" – A look at drawing the human ear with graphite.
- Video 25 – “Hair" – A look at drawing hair with graphite.
- Video 26 – “Basic Figure Drawing" – A basic introduction to figure drawing including a simple four step method for drawing a figure.
- Video 27 – “Foreshortening" – Drawing the figure in perspective.
- Video 28 – “Conclusion" – A review of the course and a plan for moving forward.
Who this course is for:
- This course is designed for anyone looking to improve their drawing skills
Hi, I am an illustrator and educator. As the founder and instructor at TheVirtualInstructor (website), I am able to help thousands of people all over the world realize their dreams of creating quality art. My illustrations have been featured in numerous publications and my work can be found in many private collections. Although I am an illustrator, my true passion in life is teaching. I have been teaching for over ten years and I am lucky to have helped so many people achieve their goals of creating art.