The PMO Bootcamp (find the job, ace it, & master the PMO)
What you'll learn
- Choosing PMO leadership as a profession
- Why PMO leadership is a rewarding career
- Developing the attributes required to be an outstanding PMO leader
- Career-path: landing the top PMO role for the first time
- Building a successful, results-driven PMO from scratch
- Making and selling the business case for your PMO to your leadership
- Change management for your PMO roll-out
- Conquering challenges related to obtaining stakeholder buy-in for your PMO
- Demonstrating continuous value of the PMO
- PMO-specific tools, templates, frameworks & other resources
- And much, much more
- Willingness to learn
- Open-mind and desire to develop professionally
The Project Management Office or the PMO as it's succinctly known, is the role or the department within an organization that is responsible for all things project management. It makes sure that the right things are happening at the right time by the right people in the right way. The person responsible for the PMO is the PMO Leader, with official titles varying from PMO Director to VP of Project Management and everything in between.
There are plenty of resources out there for other sections and offices in a corporation, but PMOs are often the neglected middle child – with everyone fighting turf wars over funding and finishing their projects, nobody works to coordinate projects and keep them on track.
They’re often treated like a layer of bureaucracy that comes between the company and its goals – but a well-managed PMO can be the opposite.
I often come across many people who:
are not aware of the differences between a project manager and a PMO leader
are project managers within PMOs, haven't had the best of experiences with them, and are looking for better avenues
don't realize the major boost a PMO leadership role can provide to their career (& financial) growth
would like to become PMO leaders one day but are unsure of the career path to get there
ask about the skills, mindset, experience that they can feel confident with when pursuing the role
wonder how to prepare and position themselves (& their resumes) when finding the role
get caught up in finding the silver bullet when settling in and setting up a PMO
struggle when explaining the benefits of PMO and seeking buy-in from executive leadership and stakeholders
seek proven roadmaps that guide to the successful setup and evolution of PMOs
If you can associate with any of these, then you've come to the right place.
I invited some of the leading PMO, project management, strategy, and change management experts, authors and practitioners from around the world to a summit that I founded and hosted: the PMO Virtual Summit.
This course includes all the presentations (both audio/video and PDF versions) and bonus materials (tools, templates, eBooks and other resources) from the PMO Virtual Summit.
In addition to receiving educational insights and tools from me, this "one-stop PMO learn fest" also features thought leaders including:
Dr. Wanda Curlee (has helped Project Management Institute [PMI] prepare certification exams)
Mark Price Perry (pioneer of the Business-Driven PMO)
Bill Dow (author of multiple PMO books)
Chris Croft (has taught the most hours of project management in the world)
and many, many more
In this course, you'll discover:
Does it make sense for a company to have a PMO if its project development is nascent or non-existent?
How to make the case for your office to higher-ups in management – to get more resources, time, and allies in your company.
How to make the case for YOURSELF as leader – knowing yourself, your place in the organizational culture, and getting a great role.
How to make your case as a PMO leader when your bosses want a totally different methodology!
The advantages (and follies) of a “virtual PMO” – working with people across your organization and around the world.
Without executive investment and understanding and support, your PMO won’t have a future – how to cultivate and keep support with stakeholders QUICKLY.
How to survive the politics of establishing your new office – both internal and external.
How to save your PMO when a mistake and you in hot water. Maybe you’re already here! You’ll discover how to commit triage and salvage your department and your reputation after a string of defeats.
What are the WRONG things to focus on as you’re getting started?
And that's not even close to everything you'll learn and see.
There’s so much diversity in the stories and battle-tested expertise of these experts, you’re virtually guaranteed to find something here that you relate to, that applies to your personal situation and needs.
Just by taking this course, you’ll be ready to rock – with a ton of strategies, insights, ideas and action steps you need to become a professional PMO leader and KEEP your place in the company.
You’ll discover the peculiar strategies and success shortcuts that skyrocketed 20+ respected speakers and authors to the top.
They’ve done it all – wrestled with unhappy executives in the C-branch and underwhelming results. They’ve been tied up with massive amounts of reports and status updates that kept them from doing their jobs properly – or at all! They’ve struggled running operations on a day to day basis – but they’ve come out ahead.
And now, this course compresses decades of experience and best strategies for you.
Who this course is for:
- FIRST-TIME PMO LEADERS who want to successfully setup a PMO in their organization, look like a pro while doing it, and achieve a significant professional milestone leading to a fulfilling career
- ASPIRING PMO LEADERS who want to switch from their current role in project management, business strategy, operations or any other field to the PMO leadership opportunity, know it's like to be in a PMO leader's shoes, and groom themselves for the top PMO role
- PROJECT MANAGERS who are currently directly or indirectly reporting to the PMO and want to maximize their experience
- SEASONED PMO LEADERS who are looking for various perspectives in PMO setup, evolution and success
- PMO SPONSORS who want to provide their PMO leaders with an immersive "one-stop PMO learn fest" educational experience
- PROJECT MANAGEMENT PROFESSIONALS (PMPs) who are seeking 20+ Professional Development Units (PDUs) while learning leadership, strategic, technical skills required for the trade
Hussain Bandukwala is the Director & Chief Coach at Parwaaz Consulting, and helps project and business operations leaders succeed through coaching, workshops and other resources. He works with project, Project Management Office (PMO), business operations leaders and executives to conquer their biggest challenges in meeting strategic goals, achieving operational efficiency, and delivering project value.
Hussain has helped clients improve the success of their strategic initiatives by 73%, shrink their PMO setup duration by 2x, and get their PMOs duly recognized by their CxOs. He has authored several PMO-focused publications, is an IDG Influencer, and speaks frequently on the subject at Project Management Institute (PMI) and industry events.
Previously, Hussain has lead operational, technology & regulatory programs and projects for over 14+ years with a combined budget of $30M+. He has managed globally distributed cross-functional teams of 50+ resources in fast-paced, matrix environments, and has been acclaimed by C-level executives for being a versatile leader with a focus on getting things done.
Hussain lives in Toronto, Canada, and holds a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in Computer Science from The College of Wooster (Ohio).