The Novice's Guide to Mastering Processes
What you'll learn
- Describe the purpose of any process and how it’s structurally organised.
- Explain how grouping processes together supports organisational competitive priorities.
- Explain the various ownership roles and how they support processes.
- Describe why process management actually matters and what are the main process decisions organisations must make.
- Be able to correctly observe and map any process within your organisation
- Ensure you won’t make common mistakes or fall for misconceptions about processes.
- Build process maps which are useful to your organisation.
- Analyse any organisational process to identify improvement opportunities.
- Know the four basic mapping symbols you need to able you to get started mapping processes.
- Understand how to use different types of process maps depending on the story you want to tell.
- Understand how to create and utilise swimlane process maps.
- Course is set at a Novice level - Already have some knowledge about processes and what they are.
- Beginners with no knowledge of processes are welcome - just follow the steps in the course to become a Novice.
- Open mind to learning new ways to look at process management and process mapping.
Processes are everywhere and underpin all work activity within organisations. The ability to master your organisational processes is a powerful skillset to have in your professional toolkit.
Learn how to:
1. identify the structure and hierarchy of any process,
2. Be aware of the various decisions you need to make about organisational processes to ensure they operate optimally,
3. conduct effective observation activities which will give you telling insights,
4. create awesome process maps which will actually work for your organisation, and
5. learn how to avoid the common mistakes and misconceptions people make and have about processes.
The course starts with how to define what a process is and how to look at them with a 3D perspective. It then dives into how to observe a process, then moves to how to map a process with knowing only four basic symbols to get you started.
It will introduce you to some more advanced process mapping techniques. It covers how to make decisions about and analyse a process before concluding with some Top five Do's and Top Five Don'ts tips.
If you would like a slightly non traditional view on how to approach your organisational processes, then this is the course for you.
Who this course is for:
- People in functional role interested in building knowledge and skills in how to understand processes.
- Managers already managing processes within their organisation.
- Anyone wanting to learn how to master their organisational processes.
- Beginner or Novice Project Managers.
- People wanting to get into Process Improvement work.
Jason Guest lives in Harpenden, United Kingdom and is the founder of thinkprofoundly limited. Jason has over 15 + years as a Programme/Project Manager and Organisational Improvement Coach, more recently a Service Mobilisation Lead for a large US Global Healthcare Organisation.
Jason wants to create a community for practitioners who are similar to him and passionate and curious about the future of work, and the interrelationships between four distinguishable elements –Systems, Performance, Capabilities and Leadership.
He is passionate about helping people create new, more powerful and innovative ways of improving services for their customers…and then turning these insights into business solutions which embed sustainable continuous improvements in the organisations.
As a programme/project management consultant, Jason has worked in companies to mobilise services and products and delivered projects ranging from major IT refresh deployments to embedding a culture of sustainable continuous improvement.