The New SAT Video Series
What you'll learn
- maximize their score on the SAT.
- garner skills that can be not only be used on the SAT, but also on the ACT their regular education classes.
- Students that take this course must be willing to put in a large amount of work on the side practicing SAT questions. Just by listening and following examples, you will NOT be sufficiently prepared to take the test. When you take the test, you will be doing a grueling marathon of questions in a timed environment, you need to prepare by putting in the hours of work that is required.
- It is recommended that you purchase the NEW Official SAT Study Guide by College Board for this course. We will provide the instruction, but The Official SAT Study Guide will provide the practice. In addition, while the course provides you with materials for taking notes, you may want to consider purchasing the Master Scholars Student Workbook, on Amazon, if you don't wish to print excessive amounts of copies.
- Students taking this class are expected to have basic high school level abilities in math and English. While we will provide you with the strategies needed to maximize your score, it will be expected that you have a basic understanding of the topics being discussed. Don't worry, we will be teaching you, but the things we mention should at least sound familiar to you when we bring them up.
This course provides an in-depth overview of the NEW SAT, which starts with this years PSAT in October 2015 and continues with the SAT in March 2016. Every example and concept directly correlates to concepts that are taught on the new SAT. The SAT is a curved test; College Board first looks at the results from the test makers and fits scores into a "bell curve". Since most students will not be used to the new test, you should begin preparing now and get "ahead of the curve"!
Each lesson is taught in a format similar to that of Khan Academy; lessons are taught through video where you can see the instructors work and explanations. It is important that you follow the order of the lessons, as some topics build on each other. After every math lesson, you will be given a chart that correlates to questions in The Official SAT Study Guide (Not affiliated with this course or Master Scholars). Once you learn a new skill, test your new-found knowledge on REAL SAT questions from the source (must purchase separately, but the tests in The Official SAT Study Guide are the same as the four tests released by Khan Academy, which you can download for free on their site).
This course has a book that you can purchase which includes all the questions that are covered in the class and the charts for each one. While this book is not required, it could be convenient while you are working through the lessons. Pdf's of each lesson are available in the course if you wish to print each one before working through the lessons in lieu of purchasing the book.
This course covers all aspects of the test and gives students strategies and knowledge that they can use to be successful on the test. In order to maximize your score, understand that practice is what will get you there. We are here to guide you on your journey, but you must put in the effort. Good Luck!
Who this course is for:
- It is expected that you have a basic knowledge of High School level math up to at least Algebra 2. If you struggle mightily in math, you may still take this course, but may need to supplement your skills during certain sections. Average to above average students should be able to follow the instruction and quickly apply the skills learned.
- This class can be taken with no supplementary materials, but doing so will hinder your progress. Purchase the following book: The Official SAT Study Guide (For the NEW SAT starting in March 2016) by the CollegeBoard. CollegeBoard is the maker of the SAT and is the go to resource for official SAT practice. This course provides gives homework and math concordance charts to The Official SAT Study to practice specific skills. If you don't wish to purchase the book, you can download the tests on Khan Academy. The first four practice tests for the new SAT from Khan Academy are the same as those in The Official SAT Study Guide.
My name is Jesse Patrick and I am a certified math teacher at Lyman High School, in Longwood, Florida. I have been tutoring for the SAT for over ten years and have worked for numerous tutoring companies during that span. In 2011, I started my own company and wrote my own book on the SAT, using the skills that I had acquired over my years of teaching.