The Mini WordPress Theme Development Course for Beginners
- Basic WordPress skills
- PHP is helpful but not required
Do you want to become a WordPress developer? Would you like to learn how WordPress truly works behind the scenes to display content on your Website? This course aims to provide you with the basic skills needed so you can begin to customize WordPress and make it work the way you want it to.
Quick Summary of What You Will Learn
This course may have 'mini' in its title but there is nothing mini about what you are going to learn. In this course, you will learn
How WordPress works behind the scenes to display content on your website
How to build your own custom page templates
How to write WordPress functions
How to work with WordPress template tags
How to create custom image sizes
How to regenerate thumbnails
and so much more
We are going to use a starter theme (underscores) to get the ball rolling but before that I will show you how to create a FTP account and how to setup a very popular text editor known as Notepad ++ so you can begin to edit your WordPress files.
The second section will introduce you to the core template files that you will find in every WordPress theme and also the WordPress template hierarchy which determines what template file displays content. You will finish the section by writing your very first WordPress function and developing your very first page template.
** The WordPress Loop **
The WordPress loop is the single most crucial and important function of WordPress and in section 3, you will learn exactly how it works and how you can modify the loop to customize how your post and page content are displayed. You will also learn about template tags and how they are used to display content. You will also learn how to write several custom WordPress loop queries.
In section 4, you will learn a variety of WordPress development skills such as
How to create a clickable hyperlink from your post title
How to customize the WordPress excerpt
How to create a custom image size
How to regenerate thumbnails
We will round up the course in section 5 where we will work directly with CSS and HTML code to design the layout of our web page.
Enroll in this course today and begin to acquire some WordPress development skills.
- Students who want to learn how WordPress works behind the scenes
- Web developers who want to learn WordPress development skills
- Students who want to learn how to create custom WordPress templates and functions
- Welcome to the Course
- How to Create an FTP Account
- How to Connect Notepad ++ with FTP
- Getting our Sample Theme
- SPECIAL OFFER - 1 month FREE Hosting
- Try Siteground Hosting
- VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE READ
- How to Create a Temporary Domain and Install WordPress
- How to Create a Sub Domain
- How to Add SSL
- How to Create a Web Mail Account
- Navigating the Siteground Control Panel
- Introduction to WordPress Template Files
- The Core Template Files
- Other Template Files
- Inspecting a Template File
- The Template Hierarchy
- The Template Hierarchy in Action
- Project 1 - Building a Custom Page Template
- Project 2 - Writing our Very First WordPress Function
- The get_template_part Function
- Introduction to the WordPress Loop
- Introduction to WordPress Template Tags
- Inside Template Tags
- Conditional Tags
- Exercise - Creating Dummy Content
- Writing a Custom Loop with WP_Query
- Project 3 - Writing a Second Custom Loop
- Writing Multiple Custom Loops
- How to Create a Hyperlink from the Post Title
- Customizing the Excerpt
- Creating a Custom Image Size
- Hard Cropping Images
- Regenerating Thumbnails
- Creating a Single Custom Loop
- Inserting our Template Tags
- Inserting CSS Classes & IDs
- Working with CSS Part 1
- Working with CSS Part 2
- Bonus Lecture
- Coupon Code
My passion is teaching people through online courses in a fun and entertaining manner. I have been teaching online for about 3 years now and during this period, I have created over 25 different courses with more than 50,000 students registered worldwide.
What would you like to learn?
Would you like to learn how to build and manage your WordPress website?
Would you like to learn advanced skills that will make you a true WordPress developer?
Would you like to learn how you can establish a successful career as a web developer?
Would you like to learn the basics of information and cyber security?
If you want to do any of these things, just enroll in the course and I'm always improving my courses so that they stay up to date and the best that they can be. Check them out, and enroll today!
MORE ABOUT ALEX:
We all have one shot at life and as such, I believe in living life to the fullest. This means constantly stepping out of my comfort zone by visiting new places and trying out new things. My relative success on Udemy has given me both financial freedom and the ability to be location independent. I am currently travelling around the world spending about a month in one city (current location is Chiang Mai, Thailand) before moving on to the next.
My hobbies include watching movies, sports and playing chess. I am also a huge Dead by Daylight gamer.