The LED Pixel Master Course
What you'll learn
- Create unique, interactive lighting projects with LED pixels and Arduino.
- Understand and follow best practices for safe wiring, soldering, powering and programming of LED pixels.
- A soldering iron is required. Basic soldering experience will help but is not essential.
- Basic C++ programming knowledge (loops, functions and arrays) will help but is not essential.
- Familiarity with basic Arduino development will help but is not essential.
Hi there! Welcome to The LED Pixel Master Course, the ultimate online resource for creating interactive lighting projects with LED pixels!
Most commonly arranged in LED strips, LED pixels are found all over the world at light festivals, concerts, arcades and Christmas light displays. As a software engineer, I've spent years working on systems that are completely invisible to end users. It's hard to explain to your family what exactly you do all day when you work on systems like these.
When working with LED pixels, however, the results of your work are immediately visible and everybody can enjoy the results! By taking this course, you'll learn to harness this power to make visually stunning works of art that you can proudly show off to anyone, whether they're 1 or 100 years old!
Why should I take this course?
Good question! You can learn bits and pieces through online videos, but this course is by far the most comprehensive LED pixel resource you'll find. Here are just a few reasons why:
- We start at the very beginning, learning all about LED pixels and what they can do.
- Instead of just taking the success path to project completion, we take the time to talk about common pitfalls and how to avoid them.
- We build our projects with a strong focus on safety and reliability in terms of soldering, powering and programming our devices.
- You'll be given regular challenges throughout the course to test your skills, and we'll work through the solutions together.
- The course content will continue to grow, with fun new topics and projects being added regularly!
What will we cover in this course?
Throughout the course we'll:
- Learn about the best components to use and where to buy them online.
- Make use of the Arduino platform and FastLED to easily communicate with LED pixels.
- Use FastLED to create stunning visual effects.
- Power our projects in a safe and reliable manner, learning about important limitations and safety considerations.
- Solder useful connections for powering and communicating with LED strips.
- Create a fully-functional, reflex-based bomb defusal game using buttons and an LED strip.
I am truly passionate about creating fun, interactive projects that make people happy. Join me in this course, and discover just how fun and easy it can be to make something amazing!
Who this course is for:
- Developers or creatives who are interested in the world of interactive light.
As a senior software engineer, I have developed applications for government compliance/enforcement agencies, and for the private financial sector.
My true passion, however, lies in combining software and hardware to create unique, interactive experiences. My favourite way to accomplish this is through the use of light and sound, which is demonstrated each year with my annual Christmas light displays, which are synchronised to music using my own open-source software called Sparkled.