The Introductory Steel Pan Course
What you'll learn
- Students will learn five calypsos, in so doing they will acquire playing skills that are transferable to the steel pan instrument.
- Students will practice the scales and broken chords relevant to the melodies.
- Students will develop their familiarity with the rhythms of calypso music.
- Student will relate the musical sound to musical notation.
- Knowledge of music theory and ability to read music notation is not a requirement.
In this course you develop your dexterity and fluency on the instrument. You will also develop your familiarity with the rhythms of calypso music while learning to play five calypso pieces. For each of the pieces, you will practice the relevant scales, broken chords patterns in order to develop your dexterity and fluency while playing the instrument.
Who this course is for:
- The course is intended for beginning steel pan players and others seeking develop their playing.
I am an musicologist with many years of experience with the music of Trinidad and Tobago Carnival. I have played the steel pan with The Tunapuna All Stars Steel Orchestra and The Tropical Angel Harps Steel Orchestra. Additionally, I have instructed and directed steel pan ensembles at secondary school level in Trinidad and I served as the instructor of the Steel Pan Ensemble at The Ohio State University for five years.