The Digital Practitioner Body of Knowledge (DPBoK™)
What you'll learn
- Concepts in the Digital Practitioner's Body of Knowledge (DPBoK™)
- Digital product fundamentals
- Digital infrastructure concepts and fundamentals
- Application delivery fundamentals
- Product management fundamentals
- Work management fundamentals
- Operations management fundamentals
- Coordination and process fundamentals
- Investment and portfolio fundamentals
- Organization and culture fundamentals
- Governance, risk, security, and compliance fundamentals
- Information management fundamentals
- IT architecture fundamentals
- Nothing required, but we strongly suggest you download the standard and follow it while taking the course.
This course covers all the concepts and ideas provided in The Open Group's Digital Practitioner Body of Knowledge (DPBoK™). The standard can be used to start and operate your digital-based company from startup mode through to an enduring enterprise supporting millions of customers. The course and standard start by describing how you operate a company with just the founder and one or two employees. Then the skills and process needed as you grow to a team of 10 or 12 employees, and then a company with multiple teams that must coordinate with each other. Finally, the skills and processes needed when your company becomes an enduring enterprise with several hundred employees supporting millions of customers. The course also prepares you to take the certification exam for this standard. Topics include:
An Introduction to the DPBoK™ Standard, including a first introduction to key concepts such as Digital Transformation, Digital-First, as well as the structure of the Body of Knowledge.
Digital Value, including the basic concepts employed by the Digital Practitioner, such as: Why do people want digital, computing, or IT services? What are the general outlines of their structure? How do they come into being? How are they changed over time?
Digital Infrastructure, including the overall capabilities of digital infrastructure and initial concerns for its effective, efficient, and secure operation.
Application Delivery, including the fundamental objectives and activities of application development.
Product Management, including why product management is formalized as a company or team grows The Open Group® Certification for People: DPBoK™ Certification Program Copyright © 2020 The Open Group. All rights reserved. DPBoK™ is a trademark of The Open Group.
Work Management, including the key concerns and practices of work management as a team increases in size.
Operations Management, including basic concepts and practices of operations management in a digital/IT context.
Coordination and Process, including how to coordinate as the organization grows into multiple teams and multiple products.
Investment and Portfolio, including IT investment and portfolio management, including finance, sourcing, portfolio management, service catalogs, and project management.
Organization and Culture, including various aspects of organizational structure, human resources, and cultural factors, as an organization goes through the “team of teams” transition.
Governance, Risk, Security, and Compliance, including the core aspects of governance, risk, security, and compliance, as an organization operates at enterprise scale.
Information Management, including the basic aspects of information and data management on a large scale; this involves the establishment of formal governance, control, and management techniques for information.
Architecture, including key practices and methods for managing complexity using Enterprise Architecture.
This is a non-accredited course so you do not receive a voucher to take the certification exam. However, we do cover all of the topics in short video presentations, followed by self-tests you can take to test yourself.
To take the Open Group certification exam, you must take an accredited course from an Accredited Training Course Provider. Examination vouchers are an integral part of the ATC Program. Each ATC attendee will be provided with an examination voucher at no additional cost. The cost of the examination voucher is included in the course fee. Examination vouchers are not sold separately.
Who this course is for:
- People who are preparing to take the DPBoK™ Foundation exam, offered by The Open Group. People who help create digital products and are interested in understanding the concepts and techniques used by organizations creating digital products. If you are interested in taking the certification exam, we recommend you visit the Sustainable Evolution site for the Open Group-accredited version of this course as it includes an exam voucher for taking the exam.
Andy Ruth is an IT professional that has been in the industry long enough to have worked prior to the Internet. For the past 20 years, Andy has worked for leaders of technical revolution such as Microsoft and AWS.
Andy serves on the review board for IEEE Software Magazine and works with standards and community groups such as The Open Group and Iasa. He is a published author of books and courses covering many IT topics.