TheSketchAcademy: The Definitive Guide to Design Sketching
- 3.5 hours on-demand video
- 4 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Unique techniques for design sketching & drawing
- MINDSET - What to expect from this course and how to get the most out of it
- TOOLS - The tools you need (and don't need even though you might think you do) and why you need them.
- SHADING - Line shading & cross shading techniques
- LINE EXERCISES - Straight lines, curves, circles & ellipses as foundations to products
- LINE TECHNIQUES - How to use a marker
- MARKER SHADING - blending techniques, what brands are the best value
- PERSPECTIVE SKETCHING - Cars & products using my simple "Cloud Sketching" technique
- AUTOMOTIVE DESIGN - Trucks, cars, sedans, vans - proportions on each category and rules to get it right using my Box Slide Technique
- PROPORTIONS - I'll give you templates to download for each type of vehicle - truck, van & sports cars
- SHADING PART 1 - 3 marker shading basics/contrast
- SHADING PART 2 - Complex shading - sky/ground reflections
- SHADING PART 3 - Matte surfaces - highlights & shadows
- IDEATION WITH MARKERS - light marker sketching + BiC pen
- RENDERING WITH MARKERS - Plastic, metal, chrome, wood - all in one ellipsoid shape
- PORTFOLIO WALKTHROUGH - I'll show you each page of my old portfolio that got me accepted to the Master degree in Car Design with Audi & Lamborghini so you know what to expect
- Be able to put in an hour a day to practice
Welcome to TheSketchAcademy. Inside this course, you'll get all the tools and technique needed to improve you're ability to sketch products and vehicles using just your hand, a piece of paper, a pen and a few markers.
Who is TheSketchAcademy for?
This course is for you who want to learn how to sketch like a professional designer using analog tools. The course has been completely updated this year with new, unique techniques I want to show you that will be an eye-opener for you, especially if you're having problems with proportions in your sketches and marker shading.
Getting your sketches proportionally correct is easy, you just need to know a few simple but powerful techniques. It took me years to figure this out on my own, you can't find it in any books, trust me, I've tried. Once I understood this "trick" which I call Box Sliding, everything fell into place and my sketches improved drastically. The cool thing is, it only takes about 30 seconds to do this and it's essential to get right before you go into any details of your sketch.
This is one of the techniques I want to show you inside the course. I haven't shared this anywhere before, you'll be the first to learn about it here. So if you're ready to reach a new level in your sketching and willing to put in the time and effort required, TheSketchAcademy is for you.
Another section is about portfolios. I'll show you every page of my two portfolios I used to apply and get accepted into a masters program in automotive design in Italy and land my first job as an industrial designer in Florida. I think this is important because it will give you an idea of the layout and content of your portfolio. This section by itself is worth the price of this course.
Who is TheSketchAcademy NOT for?
If you're looking for a magic trick to turn you into a professional design sketcher overnight, this is not for you. As with anything worth while in life, this will take time and a lot of practice to get right.I will show you the techniques and the tools you need, but the rest is up to you. Personally, I've been sketching and drawing for over 25 years and to be honest with you, most of those years I was really struggling.
But you will come to a point where you'll start to see improvements fast. Once you reach that point where you understand the fundamentals of design sketching and you've build up a muscle memory, it gets easier.
TheSketchAcademy isn't for you who want to sketch products for manufacturing. I've worked as an industrial designer for over a decade. The only thing I really enjoyed was the sketching part and that's the only thing we're focusing on in this course. We're not going to get into tolerances and manufacturing molds. All you need is a pen, a piece of paper and an open mind and you'll have a lot of fun in this course.
Part of TheSketchAcademy is all about PROPORTIONS, both in side view and in perspective. I remember having huge issues with this, especially when sketching vehicles. It all looked “off” and I couldn’t put a finger on what was wrong with the sketches.
If you start a sketch with the proportions being off, it’s very hard to fix. I’ve come up with a couple of techniques that take literally 30 seconds that will help you get your proportions right BEFORE going into details.
This way you won’t be frustrated and can focus on designing your products instead of worrying about why it looks weird. This is one of my favorite sections in TheSketchAcademy because it’s such a simple trick but has a massive impact on the sketches.
See you inside!
- Design students, hobby artists and anyone wanting to learn the art of sketching products and cars