The Customer Service Toolbox
What you'll learn
- Improve the five key skills required for succesfully handling customer interactions
- Lead almost any customer interaction to a positive outcome by using a set of over 20 communication techniques
- Use multiple communication techniques to handle the most common customer reuquests
- Understand the purpose and scope of the customer service activity in today's business environment
- No previous customer service experience is required
This course was designed for busy professionals looking to improve their customer service skills through actionable knowledge and concrete examples. It’s the result of over a decade’s work of identifying the quintessential customer service skills and implementing an effective model for handling customer interactions.
By the time this course was published, I had been delivering some version of it for over 13 years, both online and in a classroom setting, to hundreds of customer service representatives in dozens of different industries. The idea for this hands-on, practical format came to me after my first few customer service training sessions, which were exclusively focused on general theory. At the end of each session, I’d have one or more participants ask me: “Ok, that makes sense, but what do I reply when the customer says (insert any specific scenario you can think of here)?”
This course starts with a brief overview of the current state and scope of the customer service activity, meant to set the foundation for handling customer interactions. The second section covers the core skills you’ll need to successfully deal with customer requests, namely emotion regulation, controlling the tone of voice, using positive language, empathic listening, and questioning skills. By the time you reach the third section of the course, you’ll be ready to fully leverage the extensive set of communication techniques included in our toolbox. There are over 20 such techniques, split into two categories: tools to help you perform your job effectively (or what I like to call the basic tools) and tools to allow you to exceed customer expectations and earn customer loyalty (which would be the equivalent of the power tools).
By the time you complete this course, you will be able to:
● Identify and utilize all key customer service skills in various contexts;
● Successfully handle most types of customer interactions;
● Determine which combination of communication techniques is best suited to resolve specific customer issues or requests.
Who this course is for:
- Customer service representatives, technical support engineers, customer support managers and anyone who interacts with customers on a regular basis
I've let my passion for learning to lead me into a career in training, and I've been designing learning journeys since 2008. I'm currently the Director of Training for an information technology company, having previously gone through the entire spectrum of organizational learning jobs as a trainer, instructional designer, or training program manager, primarily in IT and BPO companies. I've authored several books on training, telemarketing, and customer service topics, and I'm currently involved in the development and implementation of various e-learning projects.