User Experience Tools: The Complete Guide to Personas
What you'll learn
- Master a structured methodology to understand your customers
- Meet the needs of your customers using personas as a tool
- Use personas to build great customer experiences that differentiate your brand
- Implement best practices for personas in both startup and corporate environments
- Use personas to enhance IT development, new product design, content marketing and much more
- Basic entrepreneurship or business knowledge
- An introduction to UX design or Design Thinking is beneficial but not required
Today, more than ever, businesses need to understand their customers if they want to create brand-defining experiences that differentiate them from the competition. Regardless of your industry or niche, consumer expectations are being shaped by their experience with industry leaders - people expect the convenience of Amazon, the pricing of Walmart, and the experience of Apple.
This course will show you how to understand your customers better - through a tool known as personas. It's comprehensive, showing you not only why you need to use personas, but giving you a detailed toolbox on how to build them, and how to use them throughout your business.
The course structure can be summarized as:
- Introduction - learn why customer experience (CX) is becoming a key business imperative, and where personas fit in your CX initiatives
- What is a persona - learn the history of personas, and today's thinking around how best to design them
- Creating personas - learn the most effective tools to perform user research in order to create personas. The Persona Toolbox is introduced, showing you 6 different methodologies, with detailed explanations of all of them
- Use personas - learn how to use personas throughout your business to enhance customer-centricity.
- Success factors and common mistakes - avoid the mistakes we see businesses make when using personas, and discover the key success factors needed to create truly exceptional personas
- The future of personas - learn how some companies are taking personas to the next level to derive more value for the business and their customers
Templates have been included to allow you to quickly start using these tools. We've also included assignments to help you incorporate personas for your specific needs.
All course notes are also available
The Skills Spotlight series is a collection of courses that help designers master a specific skill that they can use throughout their career. Too often, we find designers that have an incomplete toolkit. In our experience, we see that many good designers are only missing a few essential skills. This series was developed so that intermediate-level designers could improve their skills where it mattered, not wasting time with general courses. Beginner designers can also use the Skills Spotlight series to build a comprehensive base from beginning, or consider doing a flagship course on a particular theme.
Who this course is for:
- Product managers
- UI/UX Designers
- Business Analysts
- Product Designers
- Content Managers
- Brand Managers
- Web Designers
- Mobile Application Developers
The Customer Experience Series is a teaching organization comprised of business-minded teachers with a passion for customer experience.
Instructors have spent several years consulting in the digital, customer experience, and innovation space, where they've helped clients become more customer-centric, and design better products and experiences.
Our instructors have all pursued a number of courses in user experience design, interaction design, and human-centred design - and are well equipped to pass on this knowledge.
David is a business consultant, focusing on strategy, customer experience, and FinTech. He is passionate about the changing landscape of financial services, and how banks, insurers, and asset managers need to drastically re-think their customer offering.
Professionally, he has helped large organizations craft new strategies, operating models, and re-think how they innovate. He has also been a mentor at Startupbootcamp Cape Town, where he assisted startups re-define their value propositions and business models.
David has experience in teaching, and is a published author in Computers and Education. He is lead author for a paper which looked at how to use digital backchannels to improve learning in lectures. Overall, he is passionate about how to use new technologies to drastically improve education.