The Complete Guide To FiLMiC Pro V6: Learn Smartphone Video
What you'll learn
- The FiLMiC Pro app user interface and controls
- Mobile filmmaking accessories to use with FiLMiC Pro
- Optimal settings to shoot professional quality video
- Best practices for before, during and after your shoot
- A general knowledge of film or video terms and concepts is ideal, but not mandatory. We mention various gear, software and techniques that might sound unfamiliar otherwise. But, if you're a novice don't worry as you can learn along the way. However, this is NOT a filmmaking "how to" course. Here we focus on how to use the FiLMiC Pro app to help you create high quality videos and films.
- A smartphone (or iPad) with the FiLMiC Pro app running version 6 (on iOS or compatible Android devices)
FiLMiC Pro is the industry leading mobile video & filmmaking app utilized around the globe. This is the camera app regularly used by the BBC. Hollywood director Steven Soderbergh also used it on two of his recent movies! And the great thing is it's available for anyone and everyone to do the same using iPhone or Android.
In this guide we'll start with the basics of getting to know the app, then learn how to use it to shoot professional quality video with your smartphone.
IMPORTANT NOTE: This course is for legacy FiLMiC Pro V6. Starting with V7 FiLMiC Pro (November 2022) is now a subscription app, however, they still allow current users to download legacy V6 and this course relates to that version of the app. This course doe not cover FiLMIC Pro V7.
Covers these topics and more:
Choosing resolution and frame rate
Manually control white balance, exposure and focus
Using histograms, zebra stripes, and focus peaking
Setting up and shooting slow motion
Using presets to quickly repeat different shooting setups
Best audio settings
HDMI and wireless video monitoring
Best ways to transfer the video files from your phone for editing
Shooting with the Cinematographer Kit and log footage (plus a bonus color grading tutorial)
Hands-on gear demos (suggested camera rigs, gimbals and third-party lenses)
Overall Best Practices for before, during and after your FiLMiC Pro shoot
Top mobile filmmaking accessories (with direct links to Amazon and/or B&H)
Also included are any future key feature updates to the V6 app! Including Ultra Wide lens compatibility with the later iPhone models (now the iPhone 14) and info about the FiLMiC Pro DoubleTake app, 10-bit HDR and LogV3, etc.
- "I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this course to anyone wanting to know how to use Filmic Pro properly and wanting to better their cinematography." -Rico Y.
- "Extremely clear! The instructor clearly speaks at an excellent pace - not boringly slow or (worse) so fast that he cannot be understood." -George B.
- "Best produced course on FiLMiC Pro I've seen." -Eliot F.
- "Crystal clear! Great job. Thanks a lot for this course." -Antoine G.
- "Finished the course in roughly a weekend and learned at least 15 new things (actually stopped counting) that will help my filmmaking. Would recommend to anyone, of any level!" -Thomas M.
Who this course is for:
- Indie filmmakers, YouTube creators, mobile journalists, documentary filmmakers, vloggers, educators, small business owners, corporate or real estate video producers, etc.
- Whether you're a beginner just getting into smartphone video and using FiLMiC Pro or are somewhat experienced and looking to take your knowledge to the next level
The Mobile Filmmaking Academy is part of the iPhoneographers' popular YouTube channel and website. We make online filmmaking courses, tutorials, gear reviews, how-to videos, short films, and more including FiLMiC Pro LUT packs for color grading. We were founded by award-winning filmmaker Blake Calhoun and have been creating content with FiLMiC Pro since 2012.