The Complete Guide to Chess Tactics
What you'll learn
- Be able to use a fundamental understanding of chess tactics and combinations to sky-rocket your results and rating
- Be able to make sure opportunities are not missed in Calculation using Weakness of last move, Common squares, and "In-Effect"
- Be able to make use of the important tactical motifs like Fork, Deflection, Decoy, Pins, Discovered Checks, and many more etc
- Be able to get a feel for downsides of opponents position which could imply a combination exists
- Be able to use chess combinations to often win by force from positions where no issues visually seem present
- Be able to know the philosophies of great tactical examples explained in depth and re-use them in your own games
- Be able to use inspirational calculation aids such as "The power of the pinned piece is illusionary" and "Combine and win"
- Be able to understand the importance of the prioritisation of forcing moves when calculating to limit the opponent's replies
- Be able to appreciate the examples of combinations from the World chess champions
- Be able to exploit the default downside often of the Weak Back Rank
- Be able to exploit your passed pawn potential through tactical means
- Be able to exploit loose piece liabilities of the opponent
- Be able to exploit King safety issues of the opponent
- Be able to detect tactical issues and "celebrate" them using the concept word of "down-sides" throughout the examples
- Be able to understand the Fundamentals of Chess Tactics - Forcing moves, checks, captures, threats of mate and limiting opponent options in general
- Be able to match appropriate combinations with the downsides of the opponents position
- Be able to maximise the differential imposed between strengths of your position and opponent weaknesses
- Be able to play brilliant and beautiful chess combinations - but be warned you may lose sleep over them
- Be able to detect if combinations exist using various approaches of detection and examples
- Be able to finish off opponents quickly and get a new game in the all-you-can eat online tournaments
- Be able to play with very high accuracy sharp combinations
- Be able to recognise all the key mating patterns that have been established through Chess History
- Be able to practice with multiple examples all key tactical instruments which are part of combinations
- Knows the basics of playing Chess
FIDE CM Kingscrusher has one goal of the course. And that is to make you a much stronger tactician than ever before in your life. You should be in a much better position by training with this course to create beautiful chess combinations on the chessboard which feature a wide range of patterns and demonstrate amazing calculation ability. In short, the goal of the course is to make you a very strong chess tactician and help you enjoy your chess to the absolute maximum.
This course has a structure which is essentially is "process" and "patterns".
PROCESS: The Art of Chess Calculation
The "process" aspect is the art of chess calculation. Even if you didn't know a single tactical pattern by name, you could still play amazing tactics just with great calculation which the course gives you a solid foundation in. Yes, even if you didn't know your forks from your pins, the "Process" part of the course as in the art of calculation would still enable you to play great chess combinations using an entire orchestra of tactical patterns without even knowing their names.
But training yourself on patterns will enhance your art of calculation and you will be able to name the key tactical patterns which are important for searching them out to practice and discuss with others as well as prompt during your calculations.
"Process" is like the software of your chess mind. "Patterns" are like the Content for that software. You need both the software and the content to be really effective as a tactician!.
YOUR STRENGTHS OF POSITION (PLUSSES +'s) ====> MATCH WITH <=== (MINUSES -'s)
DOWNSIDES OF OPPONENTS POSITION (FOR MAXIMUM DIFFERENTIAL between the PLUS AND MINUS)
BOTTOM UP APPROACHES >----< TOP DOWN APPROACHES
Patterns help feed the process of calculation. Your goal often is to create a maximum differential between the strengths of your position which can be realised from very strong calculation skills and the downsides of the opponent's position which often requires a trained intuition and eye for potential downsides to ensure you are even aware combinational solutions might exist.
PATTERNS: Tactical Patterns, Mating Patterns, Weakness of Position patterns.
The "patterns" aspect is divided into three key "pattern" areas:
Bold ones below represent really key and frequent visitors to most people's games
Tactical Patterns (alphabetically)
These tactical patterns are very useful to practice and help internalise.
Annihilation of Defence
Blockading defensive resources
Capture the Defender
Checks - gaining key tempo e.g. winning material via checks
Combine and Win tactics
Connected passed pawns
Counterplay management move
Demolition of Pawns around opponent's king
Demolition of Pawn Structure
f2 (or f7) weakness
Goal Hanging Tactics e.g. N on f5 (also see Thorn pawn)
Greek Gift Sacrifice
Intermediate move (synonym: Zuichenzug)
King Aggression in Endgames
Overload the defender
Weakness of last move
Passed pawn creation
Pins - Absolute
Pins - Relative
Pins - Celebration
Removing King Escape Squares
Queen and Bishop Battery
Quiet but killer move (greatly used in Alekhine combinations)
Remove the Defender
Soft spot sacrifice
Strategic Crush tactic - e.g. locking in bishop, good knight
Two Rooks Battery
Two Rooks on 7th Rank
Weakness of last move
Mating Patterns (alphabetically)
These mating patterns are useful to practice and help internalise.
Bishop and knight mate
Blind swine mate
Box mate (Rook mate)
Combine and Win Mate
Damiano's bishop mate
David and Goliath mate
Double bishop mate
Kill Box mate
King and two bishops mate
King and two knights mate
Max Lange's mate
Swallow's tail mate
"Opponent Downsides" aka "Tactical Issues" aka "Tactical Liabilities" aka "Weakness of Position" Patterns
These help you intuitively identify if a combination may exist in the position.
Awkward Pieces (trappable)
King Safety Issues e.g. Back rank
Loose pieces (unprotected)
Pieces away from King
Tactical Liabilities in general
Weaknesses in general
Who this course is for:
- Chess beginner and intermediate players will get massive results improvement from this course
- Even more experienced players who want to sharpen their tactics. Every chess player can improve their tactical skills.
Dive deep into the intellectual universe of chess with Tryfon Gavriel, famously known to enthusiasts as "Kingscrusher." Beyond my titles as a FIDE Candidate Master and British Regional Chess Master, I am a dedicated chess educator, committed to spreading knowledge and passion for the game.
Decades of Strategic Pursuits My engagement with chess is a 35-year-long odyssey marked by competitive achievements both online and offline, including a peak ICC blitz rating of 2625 and an exceptional ECF grading of 212. My early triumph in the Lloyds Under 18 national UK tournament back in 1989 set the stage for a life steeped in chess, culminating in numerous top finishes in Lichess marathons and more.
Udemy's Chess Luminary While I once enjoyed sharing insights and high-level analysis on my YouTube channel, my current passion lies in crafting comprehensive chess courses for Udemy. My dedication has been recognized with the "highest-rated" award for my detailed course on José Raúl Capablanca's strategies and the "Best Seller" accolade for my "Complete Guide to Chess Tactics," which garnered widespread acclaim shortly after its debut.
Pedagogy that Transforms Teaching chess goes beyond explaining moves on a board. For me, it's about igniting a passion for the sport and developing a deep, enduring understanding of strategic thinking and tactical decision-making. Drawing inspiration from chess titans like Paul Morphy, Alexander Alekhine, Mikhail Tal, Bobby Fischer, and Garry Kasparov, my courses offer more than knowledge—they provide a window into the minds of chess's greatest masters.
Your Journey Towards Chess Mastery My offerings on Udemy are designed for learners at all stages of their chess journey. Whether you're just starting or seeking advanced strategies, my courses are a gateway to deeper comprehension and appreciation of chess. Through meticulously designed lessons, I aim to equip you with the skills, confidence, and strategic acumen to elevate your game.
Join me in this exploration of chess, delving into the intricacies that make it a timeless classic. With each lesson, we'll unravel the complexities and joys of chess, fostering not just better players, but lifelong enthusiasts.