The Complete Guide To Becoming A Successful Freelance Writer
What you'll learn
- Getting into the mindset of a writer
- What you need to get started as a freelance writer
- Identifying your strengths and potential niche
- Critiquing your favourite writers to help inspire and develop your own writing style
- Marketing your writing skills to clients
- How to land your first paid writing gig and get published
- How to write the perfect pitch
- Generating your own writing ideas
- The gold standard rules on becoming an excellent freelance writer
- Expanding your client list organically
- Showcasing your work via social media
- How to create an audience
- Consolidating your writing success long term
- A good command of language and a love of words
- A desire to make money from your writing skills online, in print or both
- It also helps if you’re a self-starter who can handle (or learn to handle) rejection!
Welcome to the Complete Guide to Becoming a Successful Freelance Writer. I’m going to teach you step by step how to build a viable and enjoyable career as a writer without needing any previous professional writing experience. This course is focused on getting you into the right space and mindset for writing online and in print for websites, newspapers, magazines, marketing and PR agencies and all sorts of other paid writing outlets.
My name is Karen Hockney and I’ve spent the last three decades as a successful journalist, writer and author, working on staff and freelance for some of the biggest publications, TV channels, corporate, marketing and PR giants in the UK and beyond. It is my experience in the craft of writing for a huge variety of clients and my extensive knowledge garnered from many years in the freelance world which have led me to create this course to share with you the numerous nuggets of wisdom and expertise that I have learned during my long and lucrative career.
As a successful freelance writer, I regularly travel the world on assignment, meeting interesting and diverse new people every day. Being able to work from anywhere as part of the internet generation successfully enabled me to leave London in 2008 and start an exciting new life chapter in the South of France where I now live and work.
I’ve designed this course with the beginner or fledgling writer in mind – someone who has the desire, the hunger and ambition to write. I should stress, however, that even if you are already writing, you can still learn some invaluable tips and tricks of the trade from this course and these should stand you in excellent stead to further develop and hone your writing career.
I’m going to teach you in simple, easy to understand terms all about identifying your strengths and potential niches, how to market your writing skills to clients, writing the perfect pitch, landing your first paid writing gig and getting published. I’ll also be sharing with you the secrets to generating your own writing ideas, the gold standard rules on freelance writing and finally, how to consolidate your writing success long term and make it the career you have always hoped for and dreamed of.
There’ll be tasks to complete in your own time, feedback from me via the course platform and by the end of this course, you will be equipped with all the detail, knowledge and confidence you need to turn your writing ambitions into reality.
This course is for complete beginners with no previous professional writing experience as well as writers who have already started on the freelance writing career path but perhaps need a little further guidance. Every writer at every stage of their journey can learn something valuable from this course!
Who this course is for:
- People looking for a career change
- Those who would like to start writing alongside their current occupation
- Anyone who wants to learn a new skill
- People who want to earn money as a freelance writer
Having trained as a news reporter in London, I have spent more than 30 years as a journalist writing for a wide variety of UK national newspapers and magazines on news, features, entertainment, travel, health, interiors, conservation, film and music. I've also had my work published in international press titles and am the author of two books. I regularly travel the world on assignment and my freelance clients include Hello, The Telegraph, The Times, Metro, The Good Spa Guide and Red magazine amongst many others.