Finance, Investment and Business: Fundamentals and Concepts
What you'll learn
- Personal Financial Management
- The Fundamentals and Concepts of Finance and Investment to help you manage your Personal Finances in a better way.
- The aspects like Inflation, Savings, Investment, Liquidity, Risk and Time Value of Money to help you take informed and balanced investment decisions.
- Business concepts like Capital, Sources and Cost of Capital, Debt-Equity, Leverage, EBITDA and ROI to help you manage your business and personal investments.
- The concept and types of Risk and how to analyse risk
- The concept of Liquidity. Liquidity of personal assets and market liquidity and its implications
- A conceptual understanding of the Time Value of Money
- The pitfalls of Debt and how to prevent falling in a Debt Trap
- The concept of how money grows into wealth
- Understanding the difference between Simple and Compound interest and also between Stated Annual Rate and Effective Annual Rate
- Some considerations for real life investment and classification of personal investment
- Some examples of how money grows at different pace
- Understanding Investment in bonds and concept of Par Value, Coupon rate, Market price and Yield rate
- Understanding investment in Mutual Funds, ETFs and other investment avenues
- Understanding investment in stock market
- Practical example of investing in stock market
- Significance of Risk and Diversification in investment
- The financial concepts for entrepreneurs
- Understand what is Capital and the source of capital
- The significance of Debt and Equity
- The concept of Cost of Capital in a business
- The significance of Debt Equity Ratio or Leverage
- The significance of turnover in any business
- The concept of Profit, Earnings, EBIT and EBITDA and ROI
- No prerequisites except a desire to learn. This course talks of Fundamentals and Concepts and can be comprehended by everyone.
It is quite common to see that people are efficient in their profession or business and earn adequately well but are not able to manage their finances in a prudent manner. This happens due to want of basic knowledge about finance, investment and the financial concepts related to business. Students who pursue a career in Capital Markets or higher education find it difficult to understand financial management due to inadequate clarity on the fundamentals and basic concepts of finance.
This subject is generally NOT dealt with adequately at High School level. At university level, this subject becomes the privilege of students pursuing finance or commerce courses but students of other fields like Engineering, Medical, Arts and Humanities etc remain deprived of it for life unless they are fortunate to find a qualified instructor and a suitably structured course where they can grasp the fundamentals. There is a clear void in dissemination of this fundamental knowledge.
Intent of this Course.
In this course hosted by PRUDENCE Engineering and Financial Consultants, Col (Dr) Shabbar Shahid, an Army Veteran and a post graduate in Engineering and Finance with a Doctorate in management gives a comprehensive overview of the finance concepts, various financial instruments, products and services and also the concepts of business in a very simple manner with apt examples. The speaker believes that a clear understanding of the basics is the key to advanced learning and professional success. This course will also serve as a stepping stone for people intending to pursue a career or profession in finance, business, capital markets or anyone interested in financial Literacy.
The intent is to impart conceptual knowledge which becomes the foundation for practical applications. This course will equip the learners with knowledge to make informed decisions for personal or organisational financial management.
Layout and Content
This course is divided into three sections.
Section 1 explains the concepts like Inflation, Savings, Investment, Risk, Liquidity, Time Value of Money etc. The conceptual difference between keeping ones money in a locker at home vis a vis savings account vis a vis investment in a business has been well explained. The meaning of Risk and Risk assessment has been explained with apt examples.
Section 2 is devoted to the Financial Products and Services which explains the concept that earning money and converting the earnings into wealth are two different things. The concept of interest and returns through various investment avenues like Bonds, Mutual Funds, ETFs, Stock market etc have been explained in a simple manner with practical examples.
Section 3 explains business related concepts like Forms of Business, Debt and Equity, Sources of Capital, Cost of Capital, Significance of Turnover, Profit, Earnings, Return on Investment etc.
This course is ideal for Finance Professionals, Accountants, University undergraduates and home makers as also for professionals who are from non-finance field.
This course will be of immense benefit to you as a foundation course if you are a student pursuing courses like MBA, CA, CS, CMA, CFA, ACCA, CPA, CIMA etc. or if you want to pursue a career in Capital markets.
It will also be of immense benefit if you are a young entrepreneur who intends to venture into business or if you are interested to indulge in investment. Even homemakers who desires to understand the concepts of finance, investment and business in order to manage their personal finances in a better way will find this course useful.
End Result and Key Takeaways
On completing this course, you will find yourself equipped with the requisite financial knowledge for making informed decisions for personal or organisational financial management.
You will be able to participate in investment and business discussions and take logical decisions based on fundamental knowledge. Equipped with knowledge, you can provide services as a financial advisor to family and friends.
It is an educational course to enhance your knowledge. The instructor knows the subject well and speaks to the point without any glamour, frills or divergence thus, respecting the value of time.
This course is purely for educational purposes. Investment involves financial risk. Students taking this course are advised to exercise due diligence before making any investment in any asset. The instructor or any party related to this course or it's content will not be responsible for any kind of loss to anyone in anyway, due to this course.
Who this course is for:
- People intending to pursue a career in Capital Markets
- It is a conceptual course and explains the fundamentals which every earning individual must know.
- This course is for every common person who would like to get acquainted with the Fundamentals and Concepts of Finance, Investment and business with a view to manage their finances and business in a better way.
- Students pursuing courses like MBA, CA, CS, CMA, CFA, ACCA, CPA, CIMA etc. to equip them with the fundamentals and concepts before they step into their professional career, pursue higher education or venture into business.
- Young entrepreneurs who have launched or are planning to launch their business ventures
- People who indulge in savings and investments and intend to manage own finances in a better way.
- This course would serve as a foundation course for students who aspire to pursue management courses.
- People who want to be financial and investment advisors to their family and friends.
- Those who are interested in knowing the basic concepts before investing in stock market and mutual funds.
- Those who have interest in the subject of finance and investment but are not familiar with the financial vocabulary.
- Those who are interested in learning how to grow money and convert it into wealth
- Students undergoing professional courses in Finance like CFA, CA, MBA etc for better understanding of the subject
You being a keen learner in quest of knowledge, our courses are designed and structured specially for you.
About our courses:
Our courses are designed to give you an in-depth knowledge in a manner which is easy to understand and difficult to forget. Emphasis is given to the fundamentals rather than bookish literature so as to make your foundation strong.
About the Instructor:
Col (Dr) Shabbar Shahid is an Army veteran and a mechanical engineer with over 38 years of experience. Qualified as a post graduate engineer coupled with a masters degree in financial management, a PhD and a passion for teaching he continues to be a learner. He is also a fellow of the Institution of Engineers (India) and a Chartered Engineer. Apart from academic qualifications and several specialized Army courses, his versatile experience in understanding people across a wide spectrum will add to the value of his lectures. Retired from the Army in 2020, he now pursues his passion for teaching and manages a small consultancy firm called PRUDENCE Engineering and Financial Consultants of which he is the founder.
Knowledge is the only instrument of production which is not subject to diminishing returns.
An investment in knowledge gives consistent returns throughout life, and then to the next generation.
Lt Col (Dr) Sofia Shahid is an officer ex Indian Army with over 20 years of experience. She has served across the length and breadth of the country in field as well as peace areas.
Lt Col Sofia is currently managing her own Dental clinic with a mission of preventing dental caries in children.