The Art & Science of Drawing / SHADING: BEYOND THE BASICS
What you'll learn
- How to observe, analyze and draw light and shadow on any subject.
- How to draw and shade concave forms like cups and bowls.
- How to apply the basic shading process to complex subjects.
- How to use foundational volumes like spheres, cylinders, cubes, eggs and cones to draw and shade complex hybrid subjects including organic subjects.
- You should have some basic drawing skills and experience.
- You should be able to draw and shade basic volumes like spheres cubes and cylinders.
If you can shade a sphere, a cube and a cylinder, you can learn to shade any subject, no matter how complex. This course will show you how. In these five in-depth lessons you’ll learn how light operates on complex objects including concave forms like cups and bowls as well as organic subjects like fruit and vegetables. This course even includes an introduction to cross-hatching, one of the most sought after drawing skills
The skills taught in this course are essential for anyone interested in continuing on to figure drawing.
THE ART & SCIENCE of DRAWING is a remarkable program that will teach you how to draw one day at a time. The program is simple, each day you’ll watch one video lesson that will introduce an essential drawing skill, and then do the recommended practice. THE ART & SCIENCE of DRAWING is overflowing with powerful insights into the drawing process and offers some of the clearest, most accessible drawing instruction available. Many of the tools and techniques you'll learn here are rarely seen outside of private art academies.
This course is the eighth and final installment of an 8-part series. If you're a beginner, we recommend going through the entire series in the following order:
Dynamic Mark Making
Form & Space
Measuring & Proportion
Shading: Beyond the Basics
If you've got some drawing experience, feel free to mix and match The Art & Science of Drawing courses to suit your personal needs as an artist!
Who this course is for:
- Anyone interested in drawing, painting, or design.
- Anyone interested in a career in the arts.
- Anyone looking for a creative outlet.
Drawing has been my lifelong passion. After studying at Otis College of Art & Design in Los Angeles, I continued to study numerous forms of drawing including the timeless traditions of the old masters as well as cutting-edge contemporary practices.
I have been teaching drawing for over 20 years at studios, museums, galleries, and schools and have developed numerous bestselling online figure drawing courses taught to an international student base.
In 2017 I was honored as one of Udemy's Best New Instructors.
I'm thrilled to bring you a lifetime of drawing and teaching experience to this unique program. I look forward to working with you. Cheers!