The Art & Science of Drawing / CONTOURS
- 1.5 hours on-demand video
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- How to craft compelling contour drawings.
- How to use overlaps and inner contours to create the illusion of volume in drawings.
- How to draw using cross contour lines that describe the topography of a subject in great detail.
- How to use atmospheric perspective to give drawings a sense of great depth.
- How to use foreshortening in your drawings.
- Some drawing experience recommended. If you're a true beginner, try The Art & Science of Drawing / Basic Skills.
In this course you’ll learn to describe complex, volumetric form using three kinds of contour lines. First, you’ll learn to craft a detailed outside contour. Next you’ll learn to draw inner contours and overlaps that will describe any subject with great depth. Finally, you’ll learn to draw using cross contour lines to create the illusion of dramatic volume and deep space. By the end of this course, you’ll understand how to combine different kinds of contour lines to draw any form. You’ll even be introduced to foreshortening, one of the most sought after drawing skills.
This course is the sixth installment of the 8-part series THE ART & SCIENCE of DRAWING which is a remarkable program that will teach you how to draw one day at a time. The program is simple, each day you’ll watch one video lesson that will introduce an essential drawing skill, and then do the recommended practice. THE ART & SCIENCE of DRAWING is overflowing with powerful insights into the drawing process and offers some of the clearest, most accessible drawing instruction available. Many of the tools and techniques you'll learn here are rarely seen outside of private art academies.
This course is highly recommended for anyone who wants to learn to paint as well. Most master painters agree that drawing is a fundamental and essential skill for all painters.
If you're a beginner, we recommend going through the entire series in the following order:
Dynamic Mark Making
Form & Space
Measuring & Proportion
Shading: Beyond the Basics
If you've got some drawing experience, feel free to mix and match The Art & Science of Drawing courses to suit your personal needs as an artist!
- Any artist wanting to improve their drawing or painting skills.
- Any artist wanting to create more dynamic and believable drawings or paintings.
- Any student preparing for a career in the arts.
Today, you’ll discover how detailed and descriptive contour drawings can be and how to mine your subject for even the tiniest details.