The Art & Science of Drawing / CONTOURS
What you'll learn
- How to craft compelling contour drawings.
- How to use overlaps and inner contours to create the illusion of volume in drawings.
- How to draw using cross contour lines that describe the topography of a subject in great detail.
- How to use atmospheric perspective to give drawings a sense of great depth.
- How to use foreshortening in your drawings.
- Some drawing experience recommended. If you're a true beginner, try The Art & Science of Drawing / Basic Skills.
In this course you’ll learn to describe complex, volumetric form using three kinds of contour lines. First, you’ll learn to craft a detailed outside contour. Next you’ll learn to draw inner contours and overlaps that will describe any subject with great depth. Finally, you’ll learn to draw using cross contour lines to create the illusion of dramatic volume and deep space. By the end of this course, you’ll understand how to combine different kinds of contour lines to draw any form. You’ll even be introduced to foreshortening, one of the most sought after drawing skills.
This course is the fifth installment of the 8-part series THE ART & SCIENCE of DRAWING which is a remarkable program that will teach you how to draw one day at a time. The program is simple, each day you’ll watch one video lesson that will introduce an essential drawing skill, and then do the recommended practice. THE ART & SCIENCE of DRAWING is overflowing with powerful insights into the drawing process and offers some of the clearest, most accessible drawing instruction available. Many of the tools and techniques you'll learn here are rarely seen outside of private art academies.
This course is highly recommended for anyone who wants to learn to paint as well. Most master painters agree that drawing is a fundamental and essential skill for all painters.
If you're a beginner, we recommend going through the entire series in the following order:
Dynamic Mark Making
Form & Space
Measuring & Proportion
Shading: Beyond the Basics
If you've got some drawing experience, feel free to mix and match The Art & Science of Drawing courses to suit your personal needs as an artist!
Who this course is for:
- Any artist wanting to improve their drawing or painting skills.
- Any artist wanting to create more dynamic and believable drawings or paintings.
- Any student preparing for a career in the arts.
Drawing has been my lifelong passion. After studying at Otis College of Art & Design in Los Angeles, I continued to study numerous forms of drawing including the timeless traditions of the old masters as well as cutting-edge contemporary practices.
I have been teaching drawing for over 20 years at studios, museums, galleries, and schools and have developed numerous bestselling online figure drawing courses taught to an international student base.
In 2017 I was honored as one of Udemy's Best New Instructors.
I'm thrilled to bring you a lifetime of drawing and teaching experience to this unique program. I look forward to working with you. Cheers!