Rhetoric is the art of
influence or impactful speaking or writing and is utilized to persuade, inform
or motivate audience in a particular situation. Rhetoric is considered as one
of the ancient art of discourse, along with logic and grammar. It
improves the facility of speakers or writers with the exploitation of figures
of speech and other language compositional techniques. For millenniums it has
played a central part in western tradition and has been the subject of formal
study and productive civic practice. Aristotle defines rhetoric best by calling
it "the faculty of observing in any given case the available means of
Rhetoric provides a set of
rules for discovering, understanding and developing arguments in specific
situations including logos, pathos and ethos, which are described by Aristotle
as necessary elements for persuasive appeals. A persuasive speech requires
invention, arrangement, style, memory and delivery. Western writers and
speakers have used it for centuries to influence audience and to motivate them
Rhetoric can be used as
a tool to create impact in our writing and speaking. Its goal is to persuade,
create impression and interest in the discussion. The study of rhetoric is required
to understand the technicalities of the speech to make it highly persuasive for
the reader or listener. This course would guide you to create the magic
every time you communicate. You can use this understanding to carefully
develop and deliver your effective communication instead of learning the
hard-way, using hit and trial.
Good communication is
much more than words and sentences written or spoken by writers or speakers as
this communication has to be received and comprehended by other person, who has
different understanding and perception of the world and events. To create the
required rhetorical impact on readers and listeners the communication needs
to be clear, interesting, unique and memorable. This type of communication
is generally persuasive and convincing. In addition to logical points,
supporting proofs an effective delivery requires style; rhetoric brings that
In rhetoric, a rhetorical
device or resource of language is a technique that an author or speaker uses
to convey to the listener or reader a meaning with the goal of persuading him
or her towards considering a topic from a different perspective.
While rhetorical devices
may be used to evoke an emotional response in the audience, there are other
reasons to use them. The goal of rhetoric is to persuade the subject towards
a particular frame of view or a specific course of action, so appropriate
rhetorical devices are used to construct sentences designed both to make the
audience receptive through emotional changes and to provide a rational argument
for a specific perception or direction.
There are large numbers
of rhetorical devices but only certain rhetorical devices are required for
effective communication. These devices are frequently used by politicians in
their speeches or business executives in their presentations to persuade
the listeners for their case. An expert of these devices is able to create a
magical influence on the mind of the receiver. This course aims to equip the learners
with 63 of these rhetorical devices which can be used to get success in
The theme of this course
is kept extremely simple. For each of the device a brief description is
presented, followed by various examples. Learners can understand the concept
and should use these devices in their daily communication to get mastery. It is
important to understand that the specified rhetorical devices should be used
strategically and optimally, as excessive use would blunt their impact.
- To understand the communication techniques used by top speakers, professionals, anchors, executives, and politicians.
- To discover the strategies for making any communication impactful and memorable.
- To gain proficiency in 63 rhetorical devices through logical explanations and examples.
- To enhance the communication skills of the learners to make them more persuasive and interesting.
- To become a better writer and speaker.
RIGHT FIT FOR THE COURSE
Let’s talk about the people for whom this course is designed and developed.
- If you want to understand the secrets of powerful speakers, anchors, presenters, marketers and communicators, then this course can help you reveal the secrets.
- If you desire to become an impactful speaker and writer then this course can help you achieve your targets.
- If you want to learn about the rhetorical tools developed over thousands of years which can be utilized to become more persuasive, then this course can reveal those devices and methods.
- This course can help you in connecting the better with your audience.
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT AFTER COMPLETING THIS COURSE
- You will gain knowledge about the rhetorical tools used by powerful speakers and writers.
- After completing this course, you will be in the position to appreciate the power of language.
- You can become more persuasive if you utilize the devices specified in the course, intelligently and effectively.
- After completing this course, you will gain proficiency in 63 powerful rhetorical devices developed over thousands of years.
- This course cannot teach you to write or speak from scratch, but can definitely help you to bring elegance in your communication
WHAT IS EXPECTED FROM THE LEARNERS
- The learners have the freedom to take the course as they want, but it would be beneficial that they follow the flow of the course. Once the course is complete, they can choose any topic to reinforce the concepts by listening to specific lectures again.
- It would be important to complete the course, as knowledge about all the topics would create synergy and therefore impact on your audience.
- This course can add substantial value if you practice the devices specified in the course. After completing each device try to make your own sentences utilizing the concept specified in the specific device.
- Even after completing the course you need to keep coming back for revising these devices to internalize each of these devices. Keep learning and practicing to bring elegance in your communication.
- These rhetorical devices are effective only if they are used optimally. Extensive usage of these devices may deplete their impact.
QUALIFICATION REQUIRED FOR THE COURSE
Qualification Required for Course
- There is no minimum qualification required for this course. Anyone who wants to learn about rhetorical devices and is interested in bringing elegance in his/her communication, can take this course.
- The medium of instruction is English, therefore you need to have medium proficiency in English, to get the value out of this course.
- You need to be committed enough to complete the course and follow the specified instructions with complete sincerity.
HOW TO TAKE THE COURSE
Right Way for the course
- To get the maximum value out of this course, you need to start from the beginning, and move step by step forward. Even though you can pick any lecture to learn, based upon your interest and requirement. But it would be great if you could follow the course with its flow, which can ensure its completion.
- It is required that you follow the instructions as specified in each section. Following the instructions would help you to become a better learner in the course.
- It is suggested that even if you have some brief understanding about a specific portion, it would be beneficial that you complete those topics in the course. It would act like the good revision for the topic or idea, and act as an opportunity to build a momentum for completing the course.
- You need to keep practicing by utilizing the concepts in your daily communications and presentations. The more you do it the better you will become at it
INDEX AND FLOW OF COURSE
How the course is structured and its flow:
The course will start with a basic introduction followed by the description of the concept of rhetorical devices.
Then we will start by covering each of the 63 devices one by one, with the description and large number of examples to make you gain mastery over the device.
With each device we have attached a document with the complete description of the rhetorical device with examples. You can keep these documents as reference for revision. You can either take the print out of these documents or use them digitally based upon your convenience.
Documents attached to this course are:
- A complete list of rhetorical devices
- A document is attached with each rhetorical device with description and examples.