Motivational Techniques To Improve Your Team Success
What you'll learn
- Autonomy and giving teams the freedom to self-organise in ways that improve team motivation
- The importance of mastery in teams and how it incentivises teams and individuals to work harder
- The power of purpose and how it generates sustainable level of intrinsic team motivation
- What is intrinsic motivation and why its more powerful than extrinsic motivators such as rewards & punishment
- How Agile principles requires teams to have a supportive environment within which they can make decisions
- How traditional organisations rely on extrinsic motivators for team success and why this is unsustainable
- How to liberate teams with autonomy so they can achieve much more success
- Why Scrum says that teams must manage their own scope of work and timelines
- Why managers should not be in daily update meetings and how this empowers the team
- How mastery of a chosen craft unlocks potential in teams through self-directed training
- How to constantly emphasize the importance of skills and learning in a team environment
- The link between mastery and leadership and how this drives sustainable team motivation
- The importance of a higher purpose that provides human-centred meaning for teams
- How to co-create a statement of purpose with a team and embed it in everything they do
- How to use your broader perspective and long term vision to inspire teams beyond their daily work
- Students will need to have a basic knowledge of working in a team environment
"I found this course so interesting but particularly from my side as a Sales person, the content is really helpful to help advise customers, so that they understand that while I am selling transformational development software, to get to the transformed state, requires a lot of cross functional collaboration and as mentioned in the course; organizational transfer of learning." - Felicity M.
"I really enjoyed this course. It is very insightful, I cannot wait to start co-creating a vision with my team. The techniques are practical and explained very well." - Jenaway G.
"Impressive coverage with practical aspects...that would sure help Manager's and Leaders to implement these in practical life." - Pradnya K.
"A really good course on intrinsic motivation by an instructor who has first hand experience in observing how motivated teams operate and has researched and investigated agile teams as part of his Phd (which he takes you through in the course) from organisations around the world." - Sizwe N.
Do you wish you could improve your team motivation? Are you a leader that depends on teams to get work done and projects completed? Most value in the workplace is achieved through teamwork and whether you are a coach, manager or team member you need to motivate teams to be successful.
Traditional motivational techniques of rewards and punishment will achieve some short term motivation and team success but longer term, sustainable motivation comes from intrinsic motivators such as autonomy, mastery and purpose.
In this course you will learn about these powerful concepts that will uplift your team and inspire them to new levels of achievement. This course consists of the following:
An introduction to the course that describes the key concepts and gives you a broad overview
A wipeboard lesson that teaches you how to dramatically improve your team's current levels of motivation
A 1:1 lesson on the power of autonomy in a team concept and how it links to the Agile principle of self-organisation
A 1:1 lesson on mastery and the concepts of empowering teams with skills and learning paths to drive motivation
A 1:1 lesson on the power of purpose in helping a team see beyond their day to day work and reach their full potential
An assignment in which you get to choose which intrinsic motivator to apply in your team environment and observe the benefits
An overview of my PhD research that led to the development of a sentiment scale that describes how teams respond to their environment
Downloadable worksheets for each of the three motivators that help you with reference practices
Take this course today so that you can motivate your team to new levels of success tomorrow.
If you could unlock just 10% more potential in your team then you could deliver more projects, with better quality. I've studied Agile teams for 5 years and I've run Agile teams in my career - intrinsic motivation is one of the drivers of positive team sentiment and success.
Learn more in this course and put your new insights into practice with your team.
Who this course is for:
- Coaches, managers, leaders and anyone with influence in a team environment
- Anyone that relies on teams to get things done and wants to motivate their team
In my courses you learn practical skills: "I feel like I am in a real classroom." - Kira Minehart
"What an amazing course! After finishing this course, I have confidence. Thank so much Dr Peter Alkema". Or Tulongeni Shilunga: "This is exactly the jump-start I needed. Very clear and concise"
I also help lead digital transformation at FirstRand, the biggest financial services group in Africa. I've been featured on CNBC Africa and won the Gartner CIO Of The Year in 2016. I founded and led the largest banking hackathon in South Africa which was published in 2019 as a case study by Harvard Business School.
I've taught over 17,000 students about business, academics and self-development. In 2020 I completed my PhD at Wits University In Johannesburg. The study introduced a ground-breaking theory of Agile software development teams. My woodworking book was published in 2014 and has sold over 10,000 copies.
Olugbenga Gbadegesin: "Excellent delivery" / Lebogang Tswelapele: "This is what I have been longing for" / Paskalia Ndapandula: "Peter speaks with so much clarity" / Amantle Mangwedi: "It was straight to the point and the sections are cut into nice short segments which made it easier to go through" Kathy Bermudez: "Excellent material. Well organized..."
Werner van Wyk: "Thank you Peter, once again your lesson and course have given me so much knowledge and understanding" / Yvonne Rudolph "I really look forward to take everything i learned in action" / Josephine Mahlangu: "exactly what I needed to know, absolutely valuable and helpful for my personal growth"