Tangency in engineering drawing.
What you'll learn
- This course has been designed in its simplest form to enhance easy comprehension of the principle of tangency/blending of arcs and lines.
- At the end of this course, learners should be able to; 1) State the three principle of tangency
- 2) Identify an external arc and internal arc when solving a tangency
- 3) Apply the appropriate technique in solving tangency related problems.
- The student need the following drawing instruments; 1) A pair of compass 2) An eraser 3) HB and H grade pencil 4) Set-squares 5) T-square 6) Drawing board 7) Drawing sheet 8) Paper clip.
- The learners should be familiar with; 1) Basic board practices 2) Handling of compass 3) Reading of meter rule 4) Geometry terminologies such as bisect, tangent, arc, perpendicular 5) Construction of angles 6) Measurement of angles using protractor 7) Simple arithmetic calculation such as addition (+) and subtraction (-)
This course is targeted at students offering technical/engineering drawing from high school to colleges.
A tangent is a line in the plane of a circle that intersects (passes through) the surface of a circle. The point where the line passes through the surface of the circle is called the "point of tangency". The line is called the "tangent line" but is referred to mainly as the "tangent".
PRINCIPLES OF TANGENCY
In the field of technical/engineering drawing, there are three major principles of tangency a draughtsman need to follow;
i. Principle Of Blending An Arc To A Straight Line: This involves the application addition or subtraction principle along with basic geometry principles.
ii. Principle Of External Tangency: It is also known as the principle of addition (+)
iii. Principle Of Internal Tangency: it is also known as principle of subtraction (-)
This course has been designed in its simplest form to enhance easy comprehension of the principle of tangency/blending of arcs and lines.
At the end of this course, learners should be able to;
1) State the three principle of tangency
2) Identify an external arc and internal arc when solving a tangency/blending of arcs and lines problems
3) Know the area of application of each principle of tangency/blending of arcs and lines to solving tangency problems
Solve several problems on tangency/blending of arcs and lines in technical/engineering drawing
Who this course is for:
- This course is targeted at students offering technical/engineering drawing from high school to colleges
OLUWATUNBI BLESSING OLALEKAN is an alumnus of both Federal college of education (technical) Akoka, Lagos (Technical education- metal works), and the University of Lagos (UNILAG) Lagos Nigeria (Technology Education – Auto mechanical).
He is the founder of MAEKLL LABS an academic platform with a channel on YouTube (established as a result of PASSION) with the sole purpose of nurturing and impacting emerging engineers with the knowledge of TECHNICAL and ENGINEERING DRAWING theoretically, ably supported with practical knowledge and technology technique for real life application.
He has an apprenticeship experience in metalsmith works and he applies it to teaching the concept of technical/engineering drawing in high school and colleges.
He ventured into Teaching as a result of his PASSION to impact lives with quality THEORETICAL and PRACTICAL knowledge regarding technical/engineering drawing in the right proportion.