Taking the Stress out of Parenting Teenagers
What you'll learn
- Have a clearer understanding of how the teenage brain functions and how you can support the development of a heathy teenage brain.
- Develop effective communication techniques for talking with your teenagers and learn how to build trust with them and nurture independence skills.
- Learn how to handle conflict with teenagers and how to deal with risky behaviour along with setting boundaries and consequences.
- Help your teenager prepare for life after education, including developing their financial literacy and life management skills.
- No previous skills or experience required prior to taking this course.
This course takes the stress out of parenting teenagers. Not only is 'teenagerdom' difficult for parents, it's also difficult for teenagers! There are lots of changes that take place in the teenage brain during adolescence. This course will help you understand how those changes affect behaviour and how to navigate through this period of brain development with your teenager. Effective communication is often the key to effective parenting. Understanding the best way to engage with your teenager, will help avoid friction and create a more harmonious stress-free home life! All teenagers need boundaries and this course will provide communication tools to help you agree effective boundaries which are more likely to be adhered to. From time to time all teenagers cross the line. This course will provide you with the tools to manage this! Some conversations can be uncomfortable and difficult. It is far better to have those conversations beforehand, than to deal with the fall-out afterwards! The course covers managing challenging behaviour, reducing friction, and building trust. As a parent, you want to help your teenager develop safe, problem-solving skills, to enable them to grow into an independent, resilient young adult. You’ll find various resources and activities throughout the course to help reinforce what you've learned, along with bullet point top tips at the end of each section!
Who this course is for:
- This course is for parents/carers of teenagers or those working with teenagers.
My name name is Andrea Lindsay and I am a counsellor, psychotherapist, life coach and hypnotherapist. I have been in private practice for over 20 years working with adults, families and children. In more recent years, I have found myself working with more and more children and teenagers, until now nearly 70% of my client base are children and teenagers. I work with young people helping them deal with issues that affect their everyday lives such as anxiety, confidence issues, OCD, self harm, eating issues and more. I also spend much of my time working with parents, equipping them with information on the developing brain and providing them with tools to help them guide, support and parent their children.
Along with working as a therapist, I have been a therapeutic foster carer, often fostering very troubled and traumatised children. I am also a mother of 2 children, a step-mother of 2 children and now a grandparent of 2 children! The combination of my many years in practice working with young people and their families, my specialist training and the skills I have developed in my personal life, have provided me with a wealth of experience, all of which have helped me write this training course on Taking the Stress out of Parenting Teenagers.