Tagalog for Travelers
What you'll learn
- learn essential words and phrases they need to use when traveling to the Philippines.
- become more familiar with how to travel to the Philippines.
- ask where things are, greet and introduce themselves, express what they need and want, and ask for the time.
- learn more about Philippine currency and basic counting in Tagalog, shop for clothes and things and describe the sizes and colors of clothes, order food in a restaurant and have a conversation about food.
- converse with new people they meet and talk about their nationality, occupation, family, and express if they're having language difficulties.
- go out and have fun with Filipinos and learn about beach activities and other activities, express their likes and dislikes, and be able to make plans to go out with Filipinos.
- There is no need for any background or experience in Tagalog. All you’ll need is a notebook, a pen, and enthusiasm for learning Tagalog.
"Tagalog for Travelers" is a Filipino language course that will make it easier for students to visit the Philippines for they will learn the most useful Filipino words and phrases for traveling. With this course, the student will feel more comfortable traveling to the Philippines. Although the main objective of the course is to equip travelers with knowledge of the language, also included are helpful tips for traveling to the Philippines such as explanations regarding the mode of transportation, the relative prices of goods and services, and ideas for shopping.
With this course, you will be able to navigate the densely populated city of Manila better by knowing how to ask where things are and understand Filipino directions. You will learn how to greet and introduce yourselves to people you meet, express what you need and want, and ask for the time.
You will also learn more about the Philippine currency and basic counting in Tagalog and actually be able to identify the different peso bills and coins. You will know how to shop for things, especially clothes and describe their sizes and colors, order food in a restaurant and have a conversation about food.
You will be able to converse with new people you meet and talk about your nationality, occupation, family, and express if you're having language difficulties.
The course will also give you the confidence to go out and have fun with Filipinos and learn about different places and activities, express your likes and dislikes, and be able to make plans to go out with Filipinos.
Even if you do not have a Filipino person to practice with, this course is interactive enough so that you will be able to test your Tagalog skills right away.
Using multiple techniques, including the use of dialogues, imagery, contextual learning, summarization, and practice testing, you will find this course a fun and easy way to learn Tagalog. I am excited for you to soon be able to listen, read, write, and speak in Tagalog!
Who this course is for:
- The ideal student is one who is planning to travel to the Philippines or is interested in traveling to the Philippines and would like to learn essential words and phrases for traveling to the Philippines.
Hi. I’m Jonnalyn and like you, I know how challenging it can be to learn a foreign language. I was born and lived in the Philippines for most of my childhood. I am fluent in English and Tagalog, and also know French, Spanish, and Italian with varying levels of proficiency. At one point, I was also trying to learn Japanese. I’ve designed this course, keeping my experiences and struggles in mind when learning a new language.
My advice to you is to keep learning, keep practicing, and when you are struggling, remember to enjoy the journey. Note the differences but also Accept the differences between your primary language and Tagalog. Whether this is your first time learning a second language or you are already multilingual, know that the rewards of learning this new language will be something that money can’t buy. Learning Tagalog will bring you closer to Filipino people like no other can. It will help you understand us, our culture, our psyche, our hearts.